Friday, November 03, 2006

OOPS -- NOT TOO SMART

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness. See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness. Therefore, if your whole body is full of light and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you.”

Luke 11:33-36

OOPS -- NOT TOO SMART

It was time to redecorate. Our old farmhouse needed a makeover. During the makeover, we had a near disaster. They were going to sand the woodwork so I wrapped boxes in trash bags. I put covers over everything. I even covered everything in the family room where they were not going to sand. I laid the lamps on the couch and covered the couch with a tarp. I covered the chair. The TV. The tables. It was all protected. They sanded and by the end of the day, there was a layer of dust everywhere. It was then time to clean up.

Bill and I started in the family room. I was cleaning the TV and Bill was getting ready to clean a filter. Then a light came on and Bill said, “Look, the lamp came on under the tarp.” I looked and went back to dusting. I had forgotten to unplug the lamp and had forgotten the lamp would come on automatically.

Now, wouldn’t you think that two, reasonably intelligent adults would think – lamp, couch, tarp, not good? No – we looked and went right on working. The next thing Bill said was, “The couch is on fire.”

The fire was quickly put out and we said a thank you prayer. But it made me realize how one small, seemingly unimportant action could have cost me so much. A lamp left on, a home could have been lost. I am not going to cover up any more lamps without unplugging them first. I want to protect our home.

When I thought about the scripture for this, I had to laugh. The Bible tells us not to cover the light.

A covered lamp was dangerous, but how much more dangerous is it to cover the light of Jesus in our lives? One word spoken in anger can leave a scar that never heals, but just a smile or the touch of a hand can give comfort. One negative comment can stop a dream, but listening, helping and guiding can motivate a person to reach their mountaintop.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What about you? What one small, seemingly unimportant action are you going to change? What in your life, do you want to protect?

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord, Please surround and protect my family and home. Let my actions be wise and not foolish. Let me use words of praise and encouragement. Let my hands be soft as they touch others. Let me realize each word I say and each deed I do reflects you. Let your light shine through me so that ………………………………… Amen

No comments: