Friday, January 19, 2007

BUT I AM SLEEPY

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE -- Matthew 11:28-30

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, and I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

BUT I AM SLEEPY

Ever have one of those nights when you just cannot get to sleep?

Sometimes, not often, just as you are ready to slip into that void called slumber, your mind takes a strange turn. It goes from today, to yesterday, to tomorrow, until they melt into one. You think, "Am I, was I, or am I to be?" It is that time when sleep will not come and dreams wait.

There is no reality and you are alone, even when there is someone beside you. The rest of the world sleeps -- only you are awake. The quiet is very loud and ideas come and go so quickly they are hard to hold onto. Beautiful poems are written in an instant and just as quickly forgotten. Problems are solved, but the solutions seem to melt as new questions form. The challenges of tomorrow invade the peaceful memory of a sunset.

As breathing is controlled and dreams are invited in, the moment is used to question yesterday and to fear tomorrow.

You are glad you do not do battle with sleep often. Is it your inner soul dealing with reality or just those peanut butter crackers you ate before going to bed?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Everyone hates it when sleep does not come quickly. That is when our mind goes nuts. What do you do when that happens to you? Do you get up and watch TV? Do you just wait for sleep to come? Do you pray?

LET US PRAY

Dear giver of rest, You have taken my burdens. You have taken my cares. Please still my heart and mind when I am anxious or worried or cannot sleep. Give me rest when ………………………………… Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Mary you just left the Midwest office, and I decided I couldn't wait till this afternoon to look at your blog.
I'm glad that I didn't wait. I've been struggling with this very thing - letting God have control of all the different burdens/worries in my life.
Thank you.
I look forward to next Friday!
Mindy

Mary said...

Mindy, Glasses are working great and am thrilled that you liked the blog. We all have trouble turning things over to God. Of course turning them over seems to be easier than leaving them there. It is a good thing that God is patient with us. Have a great week, Mary