Friday, January 26, 2007

ONE SIDE OF A CONVERSATION

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Mark 1:35 and Matthew 6:5-8

Very early, in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. -- Mark 1:35

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. -- Matthew 6:5-8

ONE SIDE OF A CONVERSATION

When you are in a room and someone else answers the phone, you only hear one side of the conversation. If the person answering the phone says, “Yes.” “No.” “Okay.” you have no idea what is going on.

If the conversation goes like this – “No I haven’t started supper yet.” “Pizza sounds good.” “Meet you in 20 minutes.” – you know you are having pizza for supper.

My husband answered the phone one evening and this is what I heard –

“Hi Noah.” (Our grandson, Noah, was two-year-old at the time.)

“You fell in the pond.”

“You went clear under.”

“Daddy pulled you out.”

“Let me talk to your mommy.”

Believe me; I knew exactly what had happened and quickly said an “Amen” that Noah was okay.

This made me ponder what someone would think if they heard me praying. Would they know that I believe and thank God for this world and all the wonders put here for us? Would they know that I trust God with my fears? Would they know that I pray for others, not just my own needs? Would they know that I could also quietly listen to God? Would they know that I have regular conversations with God, not just pleas for help when I get in over my head? Would they hear me worship ? Would they ………..This list could go on and on and on.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

How do you pray? Do you send up quick “Thank you prayers?” Do you say long, long prayers? Do you fall asleep as you pray at bedtime? How does your prayer life need to improve?

LET US PRAY

Are you listening Lord? Sometimes I wonder how you hear so many praying at once. To my ears, it would be a jumble of noise. But you know every hair on my head and every thought I have. You know my needs before I do. Let my prayers be prayers of worship and praise. Let my prayers be conversations with you. Let my prayers ………………………………… Amen

No comments: