Friday, July 13, 2007

FEAR

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Ephesians 1:15-19

For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

FEAR

This week I read extremes. I use Oswald Chambers' My Utmost For His Highest as a daily devotional. This is an amazing devotional. Not light stuff like I write, but deep thoughts. I also read a book by Dean Koontz, The Good Guy. Extremes, but they both made me think about fear.

In The Good Guy, Dean Koontz wrote, "Fear is a hammer, and when the people are beaten finally to the conviction that their existence hangs by a frayed thread, they will be led where they need to go." If you read Dean Koontz, you know that the person saying this was not the good guy.

What things do we do out of fear? This question can also be reversed -- What things do we not do out of fear?

Oswald Chambers wrote, "We say -- "If I really could believe!" The point is -- If I really will believe. If we really believed that God meant what He said -- what should we be like? Dare I really let God be to me all that He says He will be?"

Do you fear believing? Do you allow God to be all He can be in your life?

Again, to quote Oswald Chambers, "We utilize God for the sake of getting peace and joy, that is, we do not want to realize Jesus Christ, but only our enjoyment of Him."

What an amazing change would happen in our lives if we "will" believe, not just hope to believe. The Bible is full of promises from God. How He will enrich our lives and how He will give us peace. How He will give us eternal life. What amazing changes would happen in our lives if we would leave fear behind and let God "be all that He says He will be." (Go back and read the last sentence of today's scripture.)

Next week I will tell you about a time when I was very afraid.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What do you do out of fear? Is fear being used in your life "like a hammer." Are you so afraid of someone or something, that you live your life in fear? (If this is the case, please get help. Find a church, a person or an agency that will help you. Making a change in your life takes courage. Be strong and good luck.) Are there reasons you are afraid to trust God? Are you afraid you would have to change your lifestyle?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear God, Fear. So often, I am afraid. I am afraid I will not have enough money to pay the bills. I am afraid I will be fired. Or be ill. Or say the wrong thing if I speak out at church. Or if I speak out about injustice. I am afraid others will think I am weird if I admit to believing and loving you. I am afraid to change how I worship. I am afraid to allow you to enter every part of my life. I do not want to live in fear. I do not want fear to control me. I want ………………………………… Amen

2 comments:

Betty said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed your devotionals and have found encouragement by reading them. I have chronic back pain and find it difficult on some days to keep going at work or at home. Thanks to people like you, Mary, who share yourself and what the Lord is inspiring you to share with others. Please keep writing these devotionals and know that I have gained quite a lot of insight from them. May God richly bless your efforts as you continue to serve HIM.

Mary said...

Betty, Thank you for leaving a comment. It is encouranging to know my words are helping you. I can not imagine living in daily pain. I will put you on my "computer list" of people I pray for. I have a list of names taped to my computer and I lift that list up in prayer. Mary