Friday, August 31, 2007

DID YOU HEAR?

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: PROVERBS 16:29

A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends.

DID YOU HEAR?

I rarely pass on the latest news (aka gossip). I would like to say it is because I am trying to take the high road. That I am above gossip. Really, it is a self-defense strategy (aka keep foot out of mouth).

Although we have lived in this community for 30 years, I do not know everyone's relatives all the way back to the Mayflower. You can be sure if I begin a sentence, "Let me tell you what I heard about Sadie," the person I am talking to will eventually inform me that Sadie is their second cousin. If Sadie only had one cousin in the whole country, the one person I would pick to pass on a tidbit of news to would be her cousin. (Take foot out of mouth time.)

There is also a slight problem I have remembering names. I may know something really, really juicy and just as I start to tell, my lack of retention kicks in and I cannot remember if it was Kelly or Katherine that ......... Not wanting to get the wrong person in trouble, I just do not tell.

Did you ever play the game telephone? Where one person whispers in the ear of the next in line. The idea is to see how close the last person comes to repeating the starting sentence. The first person said, "The bed is red." The last person said, "Fred is dead." Not wanting to be responsible for Fred's family being upset, I try not to repeat what I hear.

Do I talk about people? Yes, but remember, there is a difference between conversation and gossip. How can you tell the difference? Simple. If Sadie walked into the room, would you keep talking or change the subject?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What have you said lately that you wish you had kept to yourself? Have you ever been hurt by gossip?

LET US PRAY

Dear Sweet Jesus, So many words. So many ways to express what I feel and what I think. Let me always use my words wisely. Let me use my words to build a friend up, not tear them down. Let me respect others and their privacy. Let me use my words to praise you and to tell your story. Let me ………………………………… Amen

No comments: