Friday, August 17, 2007

WHERE DO YOU SIT?

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: LUKE 10:39

She (Martha) had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.

WHERE DO YOU SIT?

Have you ever heard this? "That is my pew! How dare those people sit there? Don't they know that I ALWAYS sit in that spot? I just would not feel comfortable sitting in another pew. I will just ask them to move."

Laugh, but I have heard of this happening. The question is where do you sit? Do you have a favorite pew? Is it in the back? Halfway back? On the left of the aisle? On the right? In the middle of the pew? At the end of the pew?

I spoke at a small church a few weeks back and told them I felt right at home. They were like the Methodist, all sitting in the back of the church.

Now I am going to ask you to get out of your comfort zone. Move around. You would meet new people. Move around. Surprise your minister and sit up front. (Believe me, all speakers would be thrilled if they looked down and the front row was filled.) Move around. Sit in the back row one Sunday and in the middle the next. Move around. Sit on the left of the aisle one Sunday and on the right the next. Do not be glued to a particular seat!

New question: If you heard that Jesus was going to speak this Sunday, where would you sit? Would you get there early so you could get the front pew? Would you grab an aisle seat so you could see better? Would you sit on the floor, at his feet?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Where do you sit? Would you feel comfortable in another pew? The purpose of church is to join with others to worship and hear the word of God. If you would sit up close to hear Jesus, shouldn't you be just as willing to sit up front to hear His Word?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Jesus, I have become a creature of habit. I am glued to my pew. I want to sit there because I feel comfortable. I know the people who sit next to me. Help me get out of my comfort zone because I come to church to worship You. I come to learn Your word. Give me the courage to sit at Your feet. To sit close so I will not miss one syllable. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: