Friday, October 19, 2007

TIME TO PRAY

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES:

Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before. Daniel 6:10

From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. Jonah 2:1

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Mark 1:35

After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: … John 17:1

I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing. 1 Timothy 2:14

TIME TO PRAY

At Bible Study, we were asked to kneel while we said our closing prayer. There was only one problem. About a year ago, I hurt a knee and that knee, as I found out one day when I was on the floor with the grandkids, does not like to cooperate if I kneel on it. As everyone else knelt, another lady and I stood. Know what? It didn't matter. We were all united in silent prayer, whether we were kneeling or if we were standing.

I don't think there is a particular posture that is right to pray. God says to go into a closet, but I think what he means is to pray with the right attitude and not pray for show or so others will think us holy.

The Bible tells about praying while kneeling but it also tells about praying while flat on the floor. The Bible says to lift your hands to the heavens.

Seems I pray in a number of places and in a number of ways. Sometimes when I am hanging clothes on the line or working in the flowerbed, I send up thoughts of appreciation for flowers and the breeze and the birds. (Of course, I am hoping that the birds do not fly over the clean clothes hanging there.) I can also pray while drinking that first cup of coffee, while driving and while cleaning house (Okay, so praying while cleaning house doesn't happen as often as praying while driving. And you should try praying in the shower. Now talk about coming clean to God and not being able to hide anything.)

When prayers are being said at church, I bow my head - sometimes. But sometimes I look up at the stained glass window of Jesus praying in the garden. Both ways are right.

And my hands -- They seem to have a life of their own. Sometimes they are raised full out and sometimes they are raised just a bit. Sometimes my hands are folded in my lap palms down and sometimes my hands are open, with the palms up as if they are waiting for the blessings to flow into them. Sometimes they are holding the Bible.

Do you get the point? It doesn't matter where you are. It doesn't matter what you are doing. It doesn't matter if your head is bowed. It doesn't matter what you do with your hands. It only matters that you remember: "Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up." Luke 18:1

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

So how do you pray? Where do you pray? Is there a particular way you hold your hands? Do you raise your head or lower it? Does it matter?

You should check the Bible for all the references to prayer. It was hard to select just a few.

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Jesus, The Bible is full of examples of how I should pray and you even gave me the perfect prayer. The Lord's Prayer. I know I can pray on my knees or standing up. I hope I never have to pray from the belly of a fish, but I know that you would hear my prayers even then. The hardest part of praying is finding the words. Sometimes the things I would like to tell you seem so bad that I don't want to say them. Sometimes my thoughts seem small and unimportant. Sometimes I just don't know where to begin. Jesus, look into my soul. Into the deepest part of me and teach me how to talk with you. Teach me to worship you in prayer. Teach me to turn to you in all things. Teach me to trust you. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: