Friday, February 08, 2008

BUCKET LIST

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: MARK 8:31

He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again.

BUCKET LIST

We took the afternoon off and went to see Bucket List. What a movie! As the ads told us, it is about two men who have been given the news that they have only months to live and they make a list of the things they want to do before they die. We laughed and we cried.

Got me to thinking -- If I knew I had only a few months to live, what would I put on my list? To see Paris? To meet an important person? To walk on the beach? To clean house?

Paris? No. Meet an important person? No. The beach? I would want to walk the beach one more time. Clean house? Laugh at me, but I probably would start sorting all those boxes that never seem to do anything but sit in the basement and I would get rid of that dress that is too good to throw out but that I do not like to wear anymore. I would not want to leave things for others to sort.

Other than that -- I would want to spend the time I had left being with my husband. And children. And Grandchildren. I would want to enjoy the comfort that home gives. I would want to look at every picture I have so I could burn each one into my memory. I would want to sing louder in church and not care about the person in front of me having to endure my joy. I would want to celebrate the future and cherish each moment.

I am glad I do not know when my last day will be, but Jesus knew. What would be on his bucket list? Give physical and mental healing. Help the disciples understand so they would be able to establish His church. To clear the temple and make it a place His Father would be proud of. To pray in the garden. To die. To be risen.

Jesus' bucket list can be summed up in one idea: Fulfill the plan My Father has for me.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What would be on your bucket list?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Jesus, You came to earth for one purpose - to fulfill the plan your Father had for you. Thank you for doing that. I pray that this is my goal also - to fulfill the plan my Father has for me. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: