Friday, February 01, 2008

HOLEY OVERALLS

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES:


Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2

(Jesus is speaking) "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Farther will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

HOLEY OVERALLS

A long time ago, when I was a fairly new bride, I washed Bill's bib-overalls and hung them up to dry. It was winter, so I hung them in the basement. When I put the last clothespin on, I thought, "What a good day's work you have done. The laundry is finished. Everything is put away, except for that one pair of overalls." Yes, there they hung. All clean and just waiting to dry. In the basement, where our new puppy slept.

The next day, I went down to get the overalls. I was sure they would be dry. OH NO. They were dry, but they were full of holes. And under the overalls sat the puppy.

I was really mad at that dog. "Look at this. Do you know how much a new pair will cost? Do you even care? Did you have fun chewing all those holes? Wait till Bill gets home and I show these to him."

Bill did get home and I did show him the overalls. It was then that Bill said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you that I got battery acid on those. The holes didn't show up until you washed the acid away."

The dog smiled.

Our lives are a lot like those overalls. Our sins do not show up until they are washed by Jesus. Then there are many holes. Empty places where sin used to be. BUT never fear. Unlike the overalls, which were no longer of any value, the Holy Spirit moves into all those holes in our lives. It just wiggles and wiggles, until it fills our entire body.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Is your body full of holes where Jesus has washed the sin away? Have you allowed the Holy Spirit to fill you up? Clear to the top and running over.

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Jesus, How can I ever thank you for washing me clean? For taking my sins upon yourself. Then to send the Holy Spirit to fill me. To fill the holes in my life. To teach me. To remind me of you. Thank you. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: