Friday, June 13, 2008

MOVING DAY

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: GENESIS 12:1, 4-5, 7

The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.

So Abram left, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Haran. He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.

…….. So he built an altar there to the Lord, who had appeared to him.

MOVING DAY

We have moved. We are in our new home and I can tell you a couple of things. One, the old saying about working your butt off is not true. I have worked packing boxes. I have cleaned the house. I have unpacked boxes. I have put all the pots and pans away. Most of the boxes are unpacked. Know what? My butt is still there!

The other thing I can tell you is that when you step over a box, you want to make sure that your hind leg is going to make it over too. I was unpacking and the phone rang. Of course, I got up to answer it. Stepped the left leg over a box just fine and then forgot about the right leg. The right leg decided to make contact with the box, which means I went flat. Hit my knee and I now have the most colorful knee and calf you can imagine. It is better and more green now than purple.

The move has gone pretty smooth. The opening for the stove was 1/4 inch too small. Got that fixed. Verizon cancelled my internet order without telling me. Got that fixed. And Two Men and a Truck did an excellent job of moving our furniture.

The Lord told Abram to move. Go to Canaan. Pack all your stuff and leave. Poor Abram could not go to the local grocery store for boxes and he could not call Two Men and a Truck. I cannot image moving without boxes, duct tape and a moving van. How did they pack the dishes? Food? (No local restaurants to eat at while their kitchen was out of commission.) The bed? The laundry? The lamp oil? The animals?

We worked on the planning of our move a long time. Where? When? How? Abram was just told to go. And he did! And then he built an altar.

As Bill and I left our home of 23 years, we thanked God for the memories and the blessings. We thanked Him for being beside us in the good times and the rough ones. We then invited Him to go with us.

When we arrived at our new home, we invited God in and said a prayer for the future. For a new adventure. We are not exactly sure what tomorrow will hold, but we are ready.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever moved? Was it an adventure or a chore? Did you work your butt off? Would it be easy for you just to pack up and move to another town or state?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Gracious Lord, Thank you for my home. Thank you for walls to keep me safe. Thank you for a roof to keep me dry. Thank you for your love that fills every room. Thank you for a place to rest my head at night. Thank you for …… Amen

No comments: