Friday, September 12, 2008

TIMMY TIME

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: GENESIS 3:9-11

But the Lord God called to the man, "Where are you?" He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; so I hid." And he said, "Who told you that you were naked?"

TIMMY TIME

Timmy is the last of the grandchildren to come for an overnight in the new house. (If you do not remember Timmy and his excitement over the new house, re-read July 11, 2008.) I am excited about Timmy coming too! I never know what to expect out of Timmy. The youngest of four boys, he will try anything he sees his older brothers do. Each of his brothers told him what they did while they were here, so Timmy has a long list of things we are to do: Blow bubbles, read, blow bubbles, play Frisbee, make a craft and play games. I think we are going to be very busy.

One of the biggest challenges, with this be-five-in-February boy is keeping his clothes on him. In the middle of winter, he runs around in shorts. If he had it his way, he would be naked. With absolute abandon, he dances and spins. The other night, Bill and I saw a cell phone commercial that pointed out that a family would not know about the nudist beaches because they had no cell phone coverage. Bill and I looked at each other and laughed. Both thinking, "Timmy's kind of beach." For sure, Timmy feels he has nothing to hide.

Wouldn't it be great to feel that free? Adam and Eve felt that free at first. They had nothing to hide from God. Then things changed, with one little bite of fruit. Did they really think putting on clothes would cover up their sins? Maybe from other people, but not from God.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

When you feel like dancing and spinning? When do you feel free? When do you want to cover up and hide behind a bush?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear God, You created us in your image and you placed us in a perfect place - The Garden of Eden. One little bite and now we hide from you. Let me lay all of my sins, mistakes and just plain bad judgment before you. Let me accept your grace so I can come before you and dance and spin. … Amen

No comments: