Friday, January 02, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR


TODAYS SCRIPTURES:


Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. Psalm 139:4


"Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." Matthew 6:8


HAPPY NEW YEAR


As so often happens, I think I have an idea of what I want to write and then WHAM something pops into my little brain and this blog takes a completely new direction. That is what happened yesterday - January 1, 2009.


You see, for the last, I am not sure how many years; I have worked a New Year's Day consignment sale. This involves local farmers bringing in items to sell. Tractors. Combines. Trucks. Snowmobiles. Cars. One year, some children brought a litter of puppies to sell. You name it. We sell it. Big items and small. So far, we have never sold any wives or children, although knowing farm wives I am sure a few have considered selling their husbands when they came back from the auction with an unexpected purchase of yet another tractor.


The cashiers arrive at 7:00 AM. We set up and from that time, until we leave it is non-stop. We register bidders. We file bid tickets. We check people out. We count the cash. We add the clerk sheets. We add the checks. We put it all together, balance and go home. It is one very hectic, busy day. And usually, very cold.


As I said, it is non-stop. It is hard to find time to leave the cashier trailer to take care of the call of nature when that morning coffee decides it has been in your system long enough. And even though you are thirsty, you dare not drink too much for fear of having to make another nature call. I will say this - the line of men, dressed in winter coveralls, hats and gloves, waiting at the port-a-pot are always very generous and allow the female members of the sale crew to step in line.


Did I tell you how busy we are? One of the problems with being that busy is finding time to eat lunch. As I was pulling on my long johns, three pairs of socks, turtleneck, sweatshirt and jeans, as an afterthought, said, "I wish I had gotten some turkey and made a sandwich." I then got in the truck and, because the sale is just down the road and parking is at a premium, Bill took me and dropped me off.


GUESS WHAT -- Bill returned with a turkey sandwich, chips and some sweets for my lunch. Even though I had not directed my comment about the sandwich to him, he had heard me. He realized my need and took care of it. What an amazing feeling I had when Bill handed that sack lunch in the window to me. The kindness of his consideration washed over me.


GUESS WHAT -- Our God knows what we need before we even ask Him. Isn't that great? We don't have to verbalize. We don't even have to think it. God knows!


QUESTIONS OF THE DAY


What act of kindness has someone given you? What need does God find in you?


LET US PRAY


Today, use your words to thank God for all the blessing you have received without asking. Offer thanks for all the gentle, considerate acts of kindness you received in 2008. Ask God to be with you in this New Year. Ask God to use you to show acts of kindness to others. Then humbly say Amen.

No comments: