Friday, January 09, 2009

If this does not post correctly, I apologize. For some reason, many people are having trouble with spacing, font size and funny labeling under the list of blogs when they post. I tried what they suggested and hope this works. Guess I will see when I hit the post button. Have a blessed day, Mary


TIME?


TODAYS SCRIPTURES: ECCLESIASTES


3:1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:


8:5 Whoever obeys his command will come to no harm, and the wise heart will know the proper time and procedure.


8:7 Since no man knows the future, who can tell him what is to come?


TIME?


I am late in writing this. Why? Yesterday I ran out of time. I do believe there were a few hours missing, but Bill assured me that Thursday had 24 hours as normal. Or maybe my, "I can get this done today" was an unrealistic expectation. I did accomplish my main goal, but that meant I had to put off writing my blog until this morning. Usually I have an idea of what I want to write, but today I am not sure what to share.


Time: Remember I told you I was going to give the message at church? Sunday was the day. Even though I am always nervous, I had a ball. The power point presentation worked and no one fell asleep. That is always a good sign.


Time: December 31st was our "almost retired" day. That was the day Bill retired from managing farms. That meant I would soon be relieved of my duties of preparing farm reports. This week I prepared them for the last time and, as I write this, Bill is putting them in the mail. I said almost retired because Bill is going to continue to do farm real estate sales and farm real estate appraisals. I have a feeling he also has some other ideas about filling up his time.


Time: Bill has been a bit lost the last few days. Trying to figure out this new time thing. I can see that I will also be wondering around a bit. The things that have taken so much of our time for over 30 years will now be taking up someone else's time. Someone else can pay those bills. Have the responsibility of making decisions that affect others financial resources. Someone else can write letters and prepare those farm reports. Someone else can answer the phone at 11:00 at night and on Sunday afternoon. But what will we do with the time we now have?


We included a letter with our final farm report. Bill thanked our management clients and than said, I could add the closing. I would like to share with you a bit of that letter.


"During the last 33 years, Bill and I have experienced the highs and lows of life. We have watched markets rise to levels old timers would never have believed and then fall to levels that devastated dreams. We have managed properties that have been under Halderman's care for generations and added new properties as owners needed our services. Reports were once prepared on a typewriter and now I would hate to do away with my computer. We have moved from "just a phone" to telephone, answering machine, cell phones and email. We have had the joy of working with tenants who did their best for you. We will not miss dealing with the Farm Service Agency and the government's obsession with needless paperwork.


Personally, during this time, we have each experienced the death of our mothers. The deaths of owners, tenants and other Halderman employees. Joyfully, we watched our children grow from ages 9, little Bill, and 4, Terri. They now have families of their own and we have six grandchildren. We have been fortunate to travel. We have been fortunate to share our lives with each of you. Retirement has been described as many things but I would like to quote two. Our son called it Endless Possibilities. A farm owner called it opening a door to a new life."


I do know: We are very grateful to have had work. We are very grateful to have had clients from Florida to Michigan. From California to Connecticut. Over the years, these clients trusted us with their farming investment. They trusted Bill.


Time: As I read over this, I realized that time is so many things. When we think back over 33 years, it seems to be filled with work. What I realize is that, although our lives revolved around work, work allowed us to support our family and educate our children. Work allowed us to travel and see so much of God's creation. Work - because Bill and I were a team - allowed us to spend time together.


Time: What will we do with our ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES? What will we do with the DOOR THAT IS OPENING TO A NEW LIFE? I am not sure.


I did not know where this was going or that it would be this long, but I know where it is ending. It is ending, with Bill and me opening that door. And what possibilities are on the other side? Only God knows.


QUESTIONS OF THE DAY


Do you have a job? Are you retired? How do you fill your time?


Today I ask you to pray this prayer for us. To offer this as a blessing. Thank you!!!


LET US PRAY


Dear Heavenly Father, Bill and Mary stand before the door ready to walk through and begin a new phase of their lives. Please allow them to be wise in their decisions. To trust and obey your commands. Let them leap with joy at the endless possibilities you have prepared for them. Amen


No comments: