Friday, January 23, 2009

The Shack

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: Revelation 1:8

"I am…

THE SHACK

I love to read. I am not big on history. Or books where "girl sees boy and hates him instantly." You know immediately that they will fall in love and all will be right with the world. Sometimes I read books that jump off the library shelf and sometimes books that are recommended. Let me tell you about one of those recommended books.

My friend, Sharon, asked me, "Have you read The Shack?" I answered her, "No. I have not heard about it."

I happened to be in Joy Christian Bookstore and there it was. The Shack. I bought it, laid it aside and now wish I had read it immediately. WOW! (www.theshackbook.com)

Is this an easy book to read? Yes and no. The novel is about (from the back cover): "Mackenzie Allen Philip's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. ----- In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question: Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!"

Eugene Peterson -- "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress did for his. It's that good!"

Michael W. Smith, recording artist -- "The Shack is the most absorbing work of fiction I've read in many years. My wife and I laughed, cried and repented of our own lack of faith along the way. The Shack will leave you craving for the presence of God."

Everyone has different types of books and specific authors they like to read. BUT -- If you are willing to allow a work of fiction to increase your faith, please read The Shack. I read this book quickly. I wanted to find out how it ended. I now plan to read this book slowly. Taking time to absorb every word.

Did you think I used a short scripture today? Or that maybe it didn’t all print? Actually, "I am" is all I intended to use. A quote from The Shack: God speaking: "I am a verb. I am that I am. I will be who I will be. I am a verb! I am alive, dynamic, ever active, and moving. I am a being verb."

God is a verb! God is alive. God is dynamic. God is ever active. God is alive, dynamic and ever active in our lives. TODAY.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What books have you read that helped you? Please use the comments to let us know.

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

To the great I AM, I AM. Not I was or I will be, but I AM. O Lord, that makes me want to shout with joy. I AM. That means You ARE here for me now. You ARE helping me understand when times are tough. You ARE hearing my prayers. You ARE caring. Right now. Right where I am. Right here. As I say this prayer, You ARE active in my life. To the great I am, … Amen

No comments: