Friday, February 20, 2009

FEBRUARY IS ALMOST OVER

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. Psalm 61:1-3

When the lord brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The lord has done great things for them." The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:1-3

FEBRUARY IS ALMOST OVER

I don't know about the state you live in, but February in Indiana is just yucky. Yes, the sun does come out - occasionally. And yes, the snow looks pretty. But February is like being in the middle of nowhere. It isn't winter and it isn't spring. When the snow melts, it is muddy. And you see all the trash people have thrown out. The sky is usually a drab gray and the air is damp. It is still dark when you wake up.

Bill says there is a reason there are only 28 days in February. We couldn't stand it if there were 30 or 31. Of course, every four years they have to make it worse and add a day. They couldn't put that extra day in a good month like September when we would appreciate another nice fall day.

Do you get the idea that I don't enjoy February? My mother never did either. She would start to get that shut-in, give-me-some-sunshine feeling. That is when she would come stay with us for two or three weeks. I think like so many people, mother had seasonal depression. The weather just plain got to her.

Mom would come and we would get out the card table so she could work jigsaw puzzles. She and I would play Rummy Cube, in the evenings. She would request mashed potatoes for every meal and spoil the kids.

When she visited, one thing mother enjoyed was being able to laugh. She said when you lived by yourself you just do not laugh aloud. One night we left her with the kids and they watched a movie. When we came home we could hear them laughing before we opened the door. They were laughing so hard they had tears running down their cheeks.

Was the movie that funny? I don't know. All I know is that the house was filled with a wonderful, joyous sound. I know that mother got to laugh out loud.

In Psalm 61, the people were down. Their hearts were growing faint. In Psalm 126, joy was restored. Mouths were filled with laughter.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Are you ever depressed? Does the weather get to you? What does make your heart grow faint? Where do you turn to find your way back? Do you look for someone "higher than I?"

I want you to know that I am not taking depression lightly. IF you suffer from depression, do not try to hide it or think you can handle it on your own. Please consider counseling and medication.

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

My Dear Lord, Sometimes I wake up and it is still dark outside. I just want to stay in bed and pull the cover over my head. Sometimes I just feel off. I am not sure what is wrong. It is a sadness. Sometimes a lonely feeling. When times like this come and my heart is faint, let me look up. Up to one higher than I. And let me look up until that time passes. And I know it will pass. Just like the month of February, my drab, gray time will turn to spring. And my heart will be filled with laughter. … Amen

No comments: