Friday, February 27, 2009

SILENCE TO AWESOME

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

Silence:

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

Awesome:

For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. Deuteronomy 10:17

How awesome is the Lord Most High, the great King over all the earth! Psalm 47:2

I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory." Isaiah 6:1-3

SILENCE TO AWESOME

Silence - Silence is a wonderful thing, because when we are silent we can listen. We can hear God telling us, "This is the way, walk in it." And when we are still, we can know God.

Then you have to consider our five year old grandson's birthday party. Timothy turned 5. He will be known as Timmy for the rest of this writing because he is - for sure - more Timmy than a dignified Timothy.

Timmy and his brothers recently received puppies. (Link: My Hectic Life with 4 Boys) Their father (notice I said father) thought this would be a good birthday gift for Timmy. I asked Timmy if he wanted things for the puppy and he thought that would be a good idea for birthday gifts. So shopping I did go.

A box of dog treats. A dog toy. A Dr. Seuss book with dog in the title. Coloring books about dogs. And because Timmy is a five year old, a Spiderman gift just for fun. Off we went with his gifts and the ice cream. Grandpa has become the designated supplier of ice cream for birthday parties.

Currently, Timmy's favorite word is awesome. He looked in the sack and saw five wrapped gifts. "Awesome." He unwrapped the dog biscuits. "Awesome." He unwrapped the dog toy. "Awesome." He unwrapped the Dr. Seuss book. "Awesome." He unwrapped the coloring books. "Awesome." He unwrapped the Spiderman toy. "Awesome."

Now I want you to go back and read that last paragraph aloud. When you come to the word Awesome, I want you to jump up and down and say it in a voice that could shatter windows and set every dog in the neighborhood howling.

Silence and "Awesome." Quite a contrast, but isn't that what our lives should be? We are constantly being told to be still. To wait in silence. To listen. BUT have we lost the "Awesome" part? When was the last time you saw something and said, "Awesome." ?

If you saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filling your church, would you shout Awesome?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

When needed, can you quietly wait for God to direct you? Can you sit in silence? BUT -- When do you say "Awesome."? When do you get more and more excited? When are you thrilled at a box of dog biscuits?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

To an Awesome God, To the Awesome God that created this world, Who created me, Lord, when I wait, silently to hear your voice, let me have patience. Give me patience to know you are God and that you will show me the way to walk. As I walk your path, turn my eyes to the east and west and let me say, "Awesome." As I walk, turn my eyes to the north and south and again see your wonders. "Awesome." Lord, lift my eyes up to the heavens and let me shout, in a voice full of excitement and wonder, "AWESOME." To you, the Holy, Holy, Holy Lord Almighty, I bow my head and gratefully say, "Awesome."… Amen

No comments: