Friday, May 29, 2009

YOUR SOUL IS SAFE

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: PSALM 62:5-8

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

YOUR SOUL IS SAFE

The following is a quote from Jan Karon's book, Home to Holly Springs. A man was explaining, to Father Timothy, why he wrote a poem.

"I wrote it while Mama was praying; asking God what he wanted her to do about contacting you. Mama was sitting with her back to the window that looks out to the garden. She had her Bible open on her lap, but she was reciting the words from memory, as she often does. I happened to look up from my book and saw something so remarkable that the breath went out of me like a shot.

I saw my mother's soul."

I do not know that I have ever seen another's soul. I have seen my Grandma read her Bible. I can still see her. Her whole being absorbing each word she read. I can still see those hands. Gently holding her Bible. Did I see her soul?

I have seen fathers walking with their child. Holding their hand. Keeping them safe. Did I see the father's soul?

I have seen mothers sitting beside the bed of a child. Just watching the child sleep. Did I see the mother's soul?

I have seen one person praying for another. Did I see their soul?

Have I ever seen a person and had the "breath go out of me like a shot?"

Know what? It doesn't matter. It does not matter if I see another's soul. It only matters that God sees your soul. "Find rest, O my soul, in God" --

When life throws you curves. When life throws you wonders. When life throws you upheavals. When life throws you a calm day. When any of these happen, God is there. He is your rock, salvation and fortress.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you seen another's soul? Have you entrusted your soul to God?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Rejoice. Rejoice. O Lord in you I rejoice. You are the keeper of my soul. You are my rock. My salvation. My fortress. I trust you at all times. When my life is hectic. When my life is peaceful. When I can see the wonders of your world. When I can only see a small corner of my life. No matter what is going on in my life, I will not be shaken. My soul finds rest in you. Amen

No comments: