Friday, July 10, 2009

THE BUZZARDS

SCRIPTURE:  ECCLESIASTES 10:20

Do not revile the king even in your thoughts, or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird of the air may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say.

THE BUZZARDS

Have you ever watched buzzards? I used to think they were extremely ugly, gross birds. I still think buzzards have an appearance that only their mothers can love, but they are not gross. Not only do they serve a purpose, they are so graceful. Okay, they are graceful in the air.

The other evening, we were sitting in the back yard watching one buzzard. That ole bird was just using one air current after another to fly higher and higher, until it was just a speck. Then down it came. Ever so slowly, floating down. Down. Down. Then that buzzard just flew off to the east. So, I quit watching the sky.

Shortly, something caught my eye and I looked up. There came the buzzard and it had brought friends. A full dozen. Overhead were 13 buzzards. Circling. Some high. Some low. They would be in a group and then scattered. I would think they had flown off and they would appear again. Thirteen buzzards circling. Over my head.

As I sat there watching them, I wondered if they were watching me. Had the first buzzard gone off to get its buddies because I was such a strange looking human sitting there? Were the buzzards trying to figure out why I was not up flying around? Were they laughing at my blouse? Did they wonder why I wore shoes?

If those buzzards were watching me and were going to report to the King, what would they say? Would they report that I was being lazy, just sitting there? Would they report that I was enjoying the trees? The breeze? Would they repeat my words? What I say?

This got me to thinking. When people watch me, do they see a child of God? Do my actions reflect the King? Do my words ring true? Can they see the love of Jesus?

Darn! Shouldn't have thought about that. Now I need to see my actions through the eyes of others. Do I need to pick my words more carefully? Do I need to smile more so people can see the joy of Christ? Do my actions -- oh, I can see this could be a very long list.

While I work on my list, you have a great weekend.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever watched a buzzard? Have you ever looked at your actions and words and realized that you are an inspiration to others?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Jesus, Help me live my life in such a way that others want to come to you. Amen

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you enjoy my writings and have a great week. -- Mary