Friday, September 11, 2009

SEPTEMBER 11

There are just some days you do not forget. Birthdays. Graduations. Wedding days. Days when families add to their numbers. Days when families tell a loved one goodbye. The day you bowled over 200, hit a home run or sent that golf ball straight down the fairway. The day you stuck your toes in the mud or rode your bike without anyone holding on. The day you baked your first pie or changed the oil in your car. The day you got your driver's license.

The day you realized the USA was vulnerable.

I do not remember WW II but I do remember seeing the Vietnam War fought on the evening news. I remember reading about WW I, WW II, the Korean War, the Cold War and all the other wars that our soldiers fought so we could be free. So our flag would fly over this land. But these wars were all fought "over there." These wars did not blow up the house next to mine. Nor mine. These wars -- These wars kept our land safe from invasion. Safe until September 11, 2001.

On that day, I received a phone call telling me to turn on the television. On that day, I watched the towers fall. On that day, I watched the Pentagon being attacked. On that day, I heard about the plane crash in Pennsylvania. On that day and in the days to follow, many people died because of hate. On that day, a day I will never forget, I realized the USA is vulnerable.

This September 11, I want to remember that day. I want to remember that our freedoms should not be taken for granted.

We fly our flag everyday, but on September 11 we fly it in memory of the lives needlessly lost and for their families. We fly our flag in gratitude for all those that came to look for survivors and to respectfully tend to the dead. We fly our flag in support of the soldiers that serve and defend this country.

Today we fly our flag so we will never forget September 11, 2001.

LET US PRAY: Including parts of PSALMS 143 and 144

O Lord, hear my prayer and listen to my cry. I need to stay strong when I feel vulnerable. I need to know you will come to my relief. When I feel crushed to the ground and my spirit grows faint, I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done. I spread out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. When I feel vulnerable I am thankful that you are my Rock, my loving God, my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer, my shield and my refuge.

O Lord, hear my prayer and listen to my cry. Let the United States of America remember "In God we Trust." Let this country turn to you each morning and ask you to bring them word of your unfailing love. Show this country the way it should go and instill a united spirit. Rescue us from our enemies, O Lord. Teach us to do your will and let your good Spirit lead us on level ground. Preserve our county, in your righteousness.

O Lord, hear my prayer and listen to my cry. Amen

No comments: