Friday, December 11, 2009

ADVENT CANDLES - HOPE

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." Jeremiah 29:11-12

remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:11-12

ADVENT CANDLES - HOPE

Around the base of our Advent candle ring are the words Hope, Peace, Love and Joy. Four simple words. Four extreme goals.

Last week I wrote about peace and, from the beginning, peace was a part of God's plan. This week, Jeremiah tells us that hope is also a part of God's plan.

There are so many things to hope for. World peace. Riches. Good health. That the paycheck will stretch until the next one. That your parents will not get too old and feeble too fast. (Put that in there for our children.)

But have you ever felt totally hopeless? As if, you were an outsider in your own home or community. Even in your church? Have you ever felt like God was not there? I have. And when I felt like that, I did not know where to turn.

We are all at different stages of our faith journey and I hope you know where to turn. I know now! I know God has plans for me. Good plans. Plans that will give me hope and a future. I know that I can call upon God, in prayer, and He will listen to me. The same is true for you!

Hebrews 6:17-20 tells us that it is impossible for God to lie and to take hold of the hope offered. God does not lie, His words are true and God does offer us hope. Verse 19 - We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.

Take hold of the hope you are offered. Use this hope to anchor your soul. Anchor your soul firmly. Anchor your soul strongly. Firmly and strongly anchored in God's true word.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Do you remember a time when you were separate from Christ? Where you felt without hope and without God in your world? Do you feel that way now? Find hope! (If you need help, leave a comment.)

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY (ROMANS 15:13)

O, God of hope fill me with all joy and peace, as I trust in You, so that I may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen

No comments: