Friday, February 05, 2010

THE BRAVE CALF

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

Then I will go back to my place until they admit their guilt. And they will seek my face; in their misery they will earnestly seek me. Hosea 5:15

When he came to his senses, Luke 15: part of 17

So he got up and went to his father. Luke 15:20

THE BRAVE CALF

A few years ago, I watched as a young bull calf slept on a sunny afternoon. He was just lying there, oblivious to the world, enjoying the warm sun. But then he woke up, lifted his head and looked around. That is when it got funny.

You see, while the calf slept, the rest of the cattle went to the woods and when the calf woke up, he realized he was by himself. Never fear. Remember this is a bull calf. That calf looked to the right. He looked to the left. Then he stood up. All the time being calm and brave, as only a bull calf can be.

I can still see that calf stretching his neck, back and legs. Stretching out the stiffness that a long nap leaves behind. Then the calf, all the time keeping his bull attitude, looked behind him. It was then that I noticed a change.

All of a sudden, the head was not held as high. And the tail drooped. And there was just the hint of a bellow. The bellow got louder. I could tell the calf was crying, "Mother! Mother! Where are you?" Now the calf was scared. The calf realized he was totally, completely alone. Where was his mother? Where was his milk? He cried again. This time as loud as he could yell, "Mother!"

From the woods came a reply, "Here I am." That big, brave all bull calf tucked its tail between its legs and ran as fast as those scared legs would carry him. He knew where to go.

How often I have been like that calf. Big and brave. I can do this on my own. I can handle anything that comes my way. I, I, I am alone. I am scared. I cannot do this on my own. Where will I turn? Who can help me? And then I yell, "Father!"

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Are there times when you are like the calf, trying to do everything on your own. Afraid to ask for help? Afraid to admit you need God?

(Luke 15:20 continues: But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. This is how God feels every time we go to Him.)

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Father, I have come to my senses. In my misery and my joy. In my trials and my triumphs. In every moment of every day, I seek your face. I earnestly seek you. I have come to my senses. Where can I turn? I turn to you. Amen

No comments: