Friday, April 02, 2010

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. OH NO. IT IS TRUE!

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

They kept asking, "What does he mean by 'a little while'? We don't understand what he is saying." John 16:18

Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified. Mark 15:15

He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." Luke 24:44-47

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. OH NO. IT IS TRUE!

When I am having a tough time understanding a passage, of the Bible, or I just cannot grasp a theological concept, I remember the disciples. They just did not get it.

They did not understand. Jesus had just washed their feet. He broke the bread. He took the cup. They had heard all of the parables. They had seen the miracles. They had been with Jesus when he prayed. When he read the scriptures. And they still did not understand. That is when Jesus used words they could understand. Jesus told them, "I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father." (John 16:28)

Wow. The disciples finally understood, but with understanding came reality. "I am leaving." What emotions and feelings and pangs of regret the disciples must have felt as that night and the next day moved before them. Have you ever felt like you were an observer at an event? Not part of it, but as if life was moving and all you could do was stand there? Stand there helpless. I am sure that is how they felt as they watched Jesus being taken prisoner. Being condemned. Being flogged. Being crucified. "I am leaving you." OH NO.

Then came Easter. The tomb was empty. Jesus was not there. Then Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene. And the disciples. And many others. Jesus is alive.

The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Jesus is alive. IT IS TRUE!

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Do you celebrate a risen Lord?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Jesus is alive. Jesus is alive. I want to shout it from the rooftops. I want to whisper it into the ears of every baby. I may not understand every verse in the Bible. I may not comprehend theological concepts. But I know Jesus is alive. And he is alive for all. Thank you, my Lord Jesus. Thank you. Thank you. Jesus is alive! Amen

No comments: