Friday, April 16, 2010

ONE MINUTE WARM AND THE NEXT COLD

Bill says I have a very narrow temperature comfort zone. If it is below 70, I am cold. Above 72 and I am too hot. The sad thing is that he is correct. And my comfort zone kept me awake the other night.

One minute I was too warm, so I kicked the covers off. Of course, that made me cold, so I had to find the covers. Shortly, too warm. That is the way my whole night went. The sheet was not enough and the blanket was too much.

As I went from hot to cold and back to hot, I thought about the Church in Laodicea. They had the same problem.

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: REVELATION 3:14 - 17

"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm --- neither hot nor cold -- I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

ONE MINUTE WARM AND THE NEXT COLD

Sounds like they were pretty well off. Most likely, no foreclosure notice in the mail. No credit card debt. Their children probably went to private school. And they went to church. How could God be upset with them? And why would he call them "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."

Are we ever like the church in Laodicea? Lukewarm? Does faith sit there somewhere along with the TV schedule, the grocery list and the latest novel? Is faith something reserved for Sunday morning?

What's the problem here? I believe. I go to church.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Is your faith hot? Cold? Lukewarm?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY (Based on Revelation 3:18 – 22)

To the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation, You know my deeds and you are telling me these things because you love me. I need to buy gold from you, not from the world. Gold that has been refined in the fire so I can buy clothes of white and salve to put on my eyes so I can see. I am earnest. I repent. I open the door because I heard you knock. I heard your voice say, "Here I am!" I am opening the door so you will come in and eat with me. I desire to overcome so I can sit with you on the throne just as you overcame and sat down with your Father. My ears are open and I have heard.    Amen

No comments: