Friday, May 07, 2010

VOTING

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: GALATIANS 3:26 - 29

You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

VOTING

I have not worked the elections for a long time. When I said, "Sure I can help.", I forgot about getting up at 4:00 AM, to be at the polls by 5:00 AM, to begin at 6:00 AM, to end at 6:00 PM and then leave a little after 7:00 PM. My memory had failed to enter a few years of aging into the tired equation.

Bill said, "No your butt is not dragging behind you." Maybe not, but all it took was a shower to make my behind land asleep on the couch.

The polling place I worked was in a retirement home. As I watched people come in, using walkers, canes or wheelchairs, I realized voting is a freedom, a right and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.

I have not missed voting in any election since 1967. Primary. General. I have voted. Voting is a privilege we should not take for granted. Even in the United States, voting has not always been open to all.

  • 15th Constitutional Amendment Feb 26, 1869: The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
  • 19th Constitutional Amendment Aug 26, 1920: The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
  • 26th Constitutional Amendment July 5,1971: The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

You would have thought that the 15th Amendment would have given women the right to vote. Nope. It took 51 years and the 19th Amendment before women could vote. Although 18 year olds were drafted and could serve in the military, they were not allowed to vote until 1971.

Voting is a privilege we should not take for granted. Voting has not always been open to all. Being a child of God is open to all who "vote" by being baptized.

How have you voted?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Can you say you are an heir to God's kingdom? Have you been baptized? If so, then offer this prayer of joy:

I am one in Christ Jesus. I have been baptized and am clothed with Christ. I belong to Christ and I am an heir to the promise given Abraham. Amen

OR

Have you not been baptized or not sure if you are ready to make a commitment? Would you like to learn more? Do you have a place where you can learn more? If so, then offer this request for guidance:

Jesus, I understand baptism is the outward sign of the inward change of my spirit. I am trying, but am not quite sure and have not been baptized. Jesus, open my heart, my mind and my soul. Place in my life the direction I need to discover a strong, unshakable faith. Amen.

No comments: