Friday, December 24, 2010

PREPARING FOR CHIRSTMAS - PART 4

"Calm down. Calm down." God said in a quiet voice. "Everything is right on schedule and everyone is ready."

Joseph looked at his wife and said, "Mary, I am sorry the journey has been so long and this is not exactly where I thought you would give birth, but it is quiet here. The inn would have been so noisy. Look at that sky. Do the stars seem brighter? Is it me or does the air seem charged with energy? The darkness even has a different look. I must be very tired. And worried. Are you sure you are comfortable? How are the pains?"

"O, my sweet Joseph. I would not want to be anywhere else tonight. I feel as if I am surrounded with love. The pains are strong, but that means this baby will soon be born. Poor thing, bounced around inside of me as we traveled." Mary answered.

"Is there anything I can get you? A drink? Did you notice how the animals have settled down? It is as if they know what is going to happen." Joseph said as he comforted Mary.

Mary looked into Joseph's eyes, "I am so thankful you had that dream and listened to the angel. Joseph, I would never lie to you but I know you had doubts. These months have been hard but we have been so blessed to be chosen to raise God's son. Do you like the name Jesus? I do not understand how this baby will save people from their sins. Do you?"

"No, but we do not have to understand." Joseph softly replied. "Rest. You look tired. Did you know I have been working on a cradle? I thought I saw you peek in the carpentry shop one day when I was working on it. Sleep, if you can. I will be right here."

Mary smiled, "Yes, I saw the cradle. You were sneaking off to the shop and I wanted to see what you were working on. Oh. That was a strong pain. Do you have everything ready? Cloths to wrap him in? I think I will close my eyes for just a moment. I feel I will need all my strength very soon."

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: LUKE 2:4 - 7

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

THINK ABOUT THE BIRTH

A very young girl. Her first baby. No hospital. No nurse. No doctor. No epidural. This was a Holy Child, but this child was born in human form by human birth. There would have been pain. Do you suppose they were afraid? How would Joseph have felt? How would Mary have felt?

How would God have felt watching his plan unfold? Waiting for his Son to be born.

Are you ready for Christmas? Are you ready to accept the Christ Child born to the Virgin Mary?

Tomorrow is Christmas. The day we celebrate the birth of Jesus. Are you ready for Christmas?

No comments: