Friday, April 08, 2011

AND JESUS SAID

I gave our Sunday School class an assignment. Giving an assignment made me feel like a "real" teacher. The assignment was to write a personal statement of faith that expresses what you believe to be the twelve most important things about Jesus Christ. Or list what you believe to be the ten most important statements Jesus made.

I searched the scriptures and having a Bible with the words of Jesus in red really helped. I quit trying to get a list of 10. I cut my list down to 12 but refuse to delete any more!

Here are my 12 and why I chose them.

A question I need to be able to answer:

But what about you? Who do you say I am?   Luke 9:20

A question of my faith:

Do you believe that I am able to do this?   Matthew 9:28

Who I am to worship and serve:

It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.'   Luke 4:8

When I am tired:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.   Matthew 11:28-30

When I feel like I cannot do life:

My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.   Matthew 26:39

How I am to love:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hand on these two commandments.   Matthew 22:37-40

Who I am to help:

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.   Matthew 25:40

A warning:

I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.   Luke 12:4-5

Be alert:

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.   Mark 13:32-33

What I am to do and Jesus' assurance:

All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.   Matthew 28:18-20

Where I will go:

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.   John 14:1-4

How I get there:

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.   John 14:6

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What are favorite scriptures?

LET US PRAY

Today, think about your favorite scriptures and use them as your prayer.

No comments: