Friday, June 24, 2011

THE GIFTS OF GOD -- #2

TODAYS SCRIPTURE John 4:6-14 (Please go back and read the entire scripture. Here is a bit of those verses.)

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

THE GIFTS OF GOD -- #2

Living Water - Oh, my friends, that is only the beginning of the gifts God has for us.

Welcome to week two of The Gifts of God. Last week we learned that sometimes the gifts of God are not what we expect or what we really want. The three gifts mentioned last week were Trials, Gentleness and Hiding Place.

This week I have three more. What gift might God give you? Or me? When the gift is opened, would you smile, laugh or worry?

DELIGHT: Delight is defined as something that gives great pleasure or enjoyment. And are you ready for this? GOD HAS A WHOLE RIVER OF DELIGHTS!

They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. Psalm 36:7

Think about it. God has a whole river of delights! A river just waiting for us to drink from.

When I gave my message, I held up a little drinking glass and told them I was not taking this to the river.

IMG_3988

This is the cup I am dipping into the river of delights.

I don't know about you, but I want to take a very big glass, a super duper size glass to that river.

TEARS: Tears? Tears from laughter? From joy? Well, of course we all want that gift. What feeling is there like laughing so hard the tears run right down your cheeks? Or the sweet tears of joy? This is a great gift. This is a keeper!

Yes, but also God has given us tears to help us when we are grieving. When we are scared. Tears help us deal with pain. We must remember though, tears are not permanent.

And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Revelation 7:17

CALLED: Oh, my. Here is another gift we do not like to open. Called -- Our first question is, "Called to what?"

When we receive this gift, we begin to bargain with God. Can I do it tomorrow? Surely, you meant this gift for someone else. I don't know to teach. Africa? That is so far away. What about someplace not so hot. With indoor plumbing? I know. After the kids are out of the house. After the bills are all paid. After -- . But called is a gift.

And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this? Esther 4: part of 14

Some ladies had just finished a study on Esther and understood that Esther was called to be a Queen. Called to save her people.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Of course, there is only one answer when we receive the gift of called. The Lord came and stood there, calling, "Samuel! Samuel!" We must be like Samuel. Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

Take time to think about these three gifts: Delight. Tears. Called.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Three new gifts this week. Which would you be thrilled to open? Which gift have you received? Would you like to open the gift of called?


LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

More gifts! Lord, your gifts are never ending. I thank you for the gifts I welcome with open arms: joy, peace, love. And I thank you for the gifts I receive but do not understand until later. I so do want to drink from your river of delights and will dip into that river with the biggest container I can find. Tears have come with laughter and tears have come when life had no laughter in it. Called? Lord, when you give me that gift, make sure it is wrapped in strength and tied with your guidance. Called? Speak, your servant is listening. Amen

No comments: