Friday, July 01, 2011

THE GIFTS OF GOD -- #3

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: John 4:6-14 (Please go back and read the entire scripture. Here is a bit of those verses.)

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

THE GIFTS OF GOD -- #3

Living Water - Oh, my friends, that is only the beginning of the gifts God has for us.

Welcome to week three of The Gifts of God. We have learned about the gifts of Trials, Gentleness, Hiding Place, Delight, Tears and Called. Some of these just didn't fit into our usual idea of Gifs of God, but have you thought about them? Do they make sense now?

What will this week bring? Three more gifts! Oh, the Gifts of God just keep piling up and up and up and up and up and up!

WARNING: This is an unusual gift but one I should have opened. More than once. What a blessing it is when we receive a warning that something just isn't right. That feeling in our stomach. Those times when our conscious kicks in. The warning that makes us stop. A warning that makes us stop and think.

(speaking of Israel's history) Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did.

These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. 1 Corinthians 10:6, 11

The Bible is so full of lessons on how we should live, but it is also full of warnings that tell us what not to do.

REST: A gift we can all use. So busy. Work. Family. Too many phone calls. Too many committees. Too many times of saying yes. Too many -- Too many demands on our time. And each comes with -- Tired. Not enough hours. Not strong enough.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-29

Where can we find rest? In God!

WALK WITH YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH: As I searched the scriptures to find those unusual gifts God wanted pointed out, I found this one. That's a gift I didn't understand. Why wouldn't we walk with our heads held high?

Maybe because we are sinners. Maybe because we are afraid of something in our past. Maybe because we feel unworthy. Psalm 44:15: My disgrace is before me all day long, and my face is covered with shame.

(God speaking to the Israelites) I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high. Leviticus 26:13

And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming. 1 John 2:28

We are forgiven children. Walk with your head held high. What a wonderful gift!

Nine gifts. Although God's gifts are unending, I only one more to tell you about. Come back next week to find out what it is.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever been ready to do something and had a warning? Have you ever been so tired you just didn't know what to do? Have you ever had trouble holding your head high?

LET US PRAY: Today, please talk to God about his warnings. Thank him for breaking the bars of your yoke. Thank him for rest.

No comments: