Friday, December 02, 2011

PREPARING THE WAY

December 4 is the second Sunday in Advent. When I looked up Advent, it was explained this way: A time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. A shorter answer was coming. So, Advent is expecting, waiting and preparation for something to come.

SCRIPTURE: MARK: parts of Chapter One

The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God. It is written in Isaiah the prophet: “I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way”-- “a voice of one calling in the desert. And so John came, baptizing and preaching. And Jesus was baptized by John in the Jordan.

  • Temptation - 40 days in the desert
  • Disciples - Come follow me
  • Be gone - Jesus drives out an evil spirit
  • Healing - Jesus heals many
  • Prayer - Jesus prayed in a solitary place

PREPARING THE WAY

Now hold on, what happened here? Do you ever compare stories with your sister or brother and wonder if you grew up in the same house? How could these two believers have such a different starting point for their writing? Matthew began with the genealogy of Jesus but Mark skips right over the background, even the birth of Jesus, and starts with John the Baptist. Did Mark not consider the birth important? Or ---

I think Mark was a meat and potato guy. Or a ‘just the facts’ man. Mark wanted those that read his Gospel to understand quickly who Jesus is. Mark wanted the reader to be ready for what was coming. He wanted the reader to be ready for the ministry of Jesus. Let someone else give you the “Once upon a time” version. Mark began quickly in verse 11 telling us: And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

Wow! No genealogy. No long prelude. Just the facts: Listen up folks. The Son of God is here! The disciples were ready to help and by the end of the first chapter Jesus had cast out an evil spirit, healed many and prayed.

Advent is a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. I do not think Mark was an Advent guy. Mark wanted us to know that we no longer had to wait or prepare. Mark wanted us to know that the reason for advent was all grown up and ready to serve!

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

When you think of Jesus, do you picture him as a baby or as an adult? Or do you see Jesus as a baby at Christmas and an adult the rest of the time?

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Dear Father of Jesus, Christmas comes and goes quickly as I prepare for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus. First I spend all my time getting ready and then I spend time putting it all away. This Christmas I want to slow down and understand what I am celebrating. This Christmas I celebrate the birth of Jesus and the man Jesus became. Amen

No comments: