Friday, January 20, 2012

PET PEEVES

What just sets you off? Seeing someone leave a grocery cart in the parking lot instead of putting it in the cart return? Or like my new one, people who have to open their phone during a movie just in case they got a text? Starting plays/shows ten minutes late! Those computer generated phone calls that ring once, come up on id as unknown, but you answer anyway and there is no one there!

Oh, this could be a very long list. And, what would be on my pet peeve list might not be on yours. Funny how what annoys one person isn’t a big deal to another but we all have them. Those little things that just make us want to stand up and shout, “I AM WATCHING THE MOVIE. SHUT YOUR PHONE.”

I wonder if God has a list of pet peeves. A list of little things that just tick him off. Don’t know about that, but God does have a list.

SCRIPTURE: Exodus parts of 20:3-17 From The Message

  • No other gods; only me.
  • No carved gods of any size, shape or form of anything whatever, whether of things that fly or walk or swim.
  • No using the name of God, your God, in curses or silly banter.
  • Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  • Honor your father and mother.
  • No murder.
  • No adultery.
  • No stealing.
  • No lies about your neighbor.
  • No lusting after your neighbor’s house - or wife or servant or maid or ox or donkey.

Wow, that makes my pet peeve list seem a bit trivial. But, let’s see - No other gods and no carved gods? Okay there. Oh, you wouldn’t consider the TV or the computer a “carved god” would you?

Got the next one! Although I will admit to using swear words occasionally, I would never use the name of God as a curse! But then The Message says, “silly banter.” Do I - do we - use the name of God lightly? I am sure God enjoys it when we joke and when we laugh, but how do we use the name of God?

Now I wish I had not started with this blog idea. It is not going where I wanted it to go. This was to be a light, fluffy, fun -- but maybe it is going where God wants it to go. As a Christian, I should be able to follow ten simple rules. I should be able to do ten items that God put on His list.

But it seems like I have trouble getting past the first three. What am I to do?

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Do you have trouble obeying God’s list of ten?

SCRIPTURE: Mark 12:28-33 from The Message

One of the religion scholars came up and put in his question: “Which is most important of all the commandments?”

Jesus said, “The first in importance is, ‘Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one; so love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy. And here is the second. ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ There is no other commandment that ranks with these.”

The religion scholar said, “A wonderful answer, Teacher! So lucid and accurate - that God is one and there is no other. And loving him with all passion and intelligence and energy, and loving others as well as you love yourself. Why, that’s better than all offerings and sacrifices put together.”

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Lord God, My God, the One God, I may not be able to live up to your list of Ten Commandments and I do not always want to love my neighbors, but I can make my daily, sometimes my minute by minute, breath by breath, priority to love you with all my passion, With all my prayers. My intelligence. My energy. My Lord God, when I follow this first, greatest commandment, I will slowly learn to follow the others. Amen

No comments: