Friday, May 11, 2012

THIS IS WHO I AM --

How would you describe yourself? Would you begin with your age? Your smile? The color of your hair or eyes? Would you tell what your job is? Would you tell what you do for fun? How would you describe yourself?

This is who I am --

  • A daughter and sister
  • A wife
  • A mother and grandmother
  • A volunteer
  • A Sunday School teacher
  • A writer

The answer to this question has changed on a daily basis and at different times in my life. When I really get into a book, I would describe myself as a reader. Sometimes, I just have to find the next piece and would describe myself as a jigsaw puzzle nut. Sometimes, I work in the flowerbed but I would never describe myself as a “love to work outside” person.

I have been a daughter and sister since day one. When I married, I became one-half of two. Then I became a mother: “Oh, you are Bill’s mother.” “Oh, you are Terri’s mother.” Now I am a grandmother. Yes, the things that define me have changed over the last 65 years.

But, these are all earthly definitions of who I am -- of who we all are -- and those definitions can change quickly.

Last week at church, we learned a young woman, -- a wife and mother of two teenage boys -- has cancer. Her identity changed. Something new has been added to the list of how she will define herself. Now she will say, “I have cancer.”

One minute, we are healthy and the next we add cancer to the definition of Who I am. One minute, we are one-half of two and the next we become a widow or widower. One minute, we are a mother and the next we are a mother without our child.

SCRIPTURE: PSALM 102:25-28

In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth,

and the heavens are the work of your hands.

They will perish, but you remain;

they will all wear out like a garment.

Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded.

But you remain the same, and your years will never end.

The children of your servants will live in your presence;

their descendants will be established before you.

THIS IS WHO I AM --

Yes, I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother and grandmother. I volunteer. I teach. I write. These are all earthly definitions of who I am and these definitions can change quickly.

But, there is one answer to this question that never changes. That is eternal.

WHO AM I --

  • I am the daughter of the one who laid the foundations of the earth and created the heavens.
  • I am the daughter of a Father who will never leave me and does not change.
  • I am the daughter of the King.

Who are you?

PRAYER

Dear Heavenly Father, I am - Some days that is the best I can come up with -- I am. Other days I want to shout, I AM. Some days, my identity changes so quickly, I am not sure who I am or how I will be able to cope. As my life changes, there is one thing I know for sure. You are my Heavenly Father and you will not allow me to walk alone. Amen.

No comments: