If asked how you have been blessed, what would you answer? Would you say you have been blessed with family? Health? A home? Friends? Money? A church?
For a Sunday School lesson, I looked up scriptures relating to blessed/bless/blessing. Know what I found? God considers some mighty strange things as blessings. You are blessed if:
- you do not walk in the counsel of the wicked, stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.
- you trust the Lord and tell false Gods to take a hike.
- you find wisdom and gain understanding.
- you are poor in spirit, mourn, are meek and are persecuted because of righteousness.
- you give instead of receive.
- you get through your trials.
- you wash your robes.
- you bless those who persecute you instead of curse them.
This is a very brief list and some of these make sense and some are just a bit hard. Does that mean receiving birthday gifts is a no-no? How about no trials instead of just getting through them? And the one about washing your robes is a bit confusing. And not cursing those that persecute you is really tough.
There were some really, REALLY good ones. You are blessed if:
- the Lord does not count your sins against you.
- you find your strength in God.
- read the Word.
- you take refuge in God.
- you proclaim Him.
These scriptures tell us we are blessed but they continue with you will receive.
Please take the time to look up scriptures on blessed/bless/blessing and see what you can find. How are you blessed? What is your reward?
As I was looking up scriptures I found one that referred to the Blessed Hope. And what is our Blessed Hope?
Titus 2:12-13 (Combination of the Message and King James)
God’s readiness to give and forgive is now public. Salvation’s available for everyone! We’re being shown how to turn our backs on a godless, indulgent life, and how to take on a God-filled, God-honoring life. This new life is starting right now, and is whetting our appetites for the blessed hope, the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
NOW THAT WILL BE A BLESSING! AND WHAT A REWARD!