Friday, June 20, 2014

VACATION TIME

Our daughter, two (maybe three) grandsons and I are headed to Missouri in July. I am so excited because we are going to visit a fantastic friend and her family.

I had the best time this morning. Noah and Timmy and I planned the trip. We looked at the atlas and Timmy found the states we would be going through. We answered questions: Do you want to go on interstates or back roads? When will we eat lunch? (Well, they are growing boys.) Of course, that question was followed with, what snacks can we take? Which was followed with, what about supper? Grandma, you know we like to take a blanket and pillow don't you? Where are we staying? (We looked it up and they gave it their stamp of approval.)

We also set some rules: Since we have established a time frame and where we will lunch, you will not keep saying you are hungry or ask when we will stop. Trash will be put in the trash sack. If you feel sick, grab the throw-up bowl. (Hey, this is not my first trip with kids.) No game boys/video games/iPads used when we are not on interstates. (They admitted when they are playing games they forget to check out the countryside.)

Timmy and Noah are very excited. Part of that comes from helping make decisions. Part comes from knowing exactly where we are going and what to expect.

Vacations are fun and, although sometimes getting in the car and just heading out is okay, planning is a major part of the vacation. Planning is: Checking to see which road is the best to take where. Using your imagination to picture what you might see. Looking forward to the challenge of finding that out of the way place from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Knowing your room is waiting.

Noah, Timmy and I spent time this morning making plans. I spent time this afternoon organizing those plans. We will pack. We will prepare. This got me to thinking.

Do I spend this much time preparing for the most important journey of my life?  Do I know where I am going and what to expect?

WHICH ROAD SHOULD I TAKE? I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. Psalm 32:8

WHAT MIGHT I SEE? He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters. Psalm 23: part of verse 2

WHAT SHALL I EAT? On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. Revelation 22:2

WILL MY ROOM BE READY? In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. John 14:2

Do I spend this much time preparing for my journey with God?

Do you?

No comments: