Friday, February 06, 2015

WHERE DID YOUR FAITH COME FROM?

In almost every Bible study, every devotional and Christian blog, the question comes up: Where does your faith come from? The answer? For me, I used to answer that question, "My grandma." And I thought that was the correct answer.

I saw my grandma read her Bible. Every day! Even those sections with all the names and begets. She did not skip over them. She actually read them. Grandma read the Laws and she read the Gospels. Grandma lived her life as a Christian. She lived what she read.

Yup. Where did I get my faith? Grandma, of course.

I have been answering that question wrong.

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. Psalm 62:5

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you….. Psalm 63:1

My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. Psalm 63:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8

My favorite Psalm is 139 and verse 13 says: For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I know how to answer that question now.

Where did I get my faith? Well, duh. From God and he knit it right into my soul! As I read the Psalms, I discover over and over that my job is to seek the Lord. I am to seek the Lord because my soul thirsts for Him. Seeking the Lord is part of my soul. Part of my DNA. I seek the Lord to find rest. To be upheld. To find hope.

So what do I do about grandma? I will continue to give the honor to grandma that she deserves. Grandma allowed me to read the Bible to her when her eyes were weak. Grandma was the living example of the Living Word. Grandma was my earthly guide to my Heavenly Father.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Good afternoon God, I want to be sure you know my grandma did her part in making sure I found you. She was the light that led me to your Word. She was the example of what it looked like to be led by you. Please give her a hug and tell her I am very grateful. Amen

1 comment:

Nana's Nook said...

I always look forward to Mary's Moments. This really brings back memories of my grandma Long. I used to go to Church with her at the Andtews United Methodist Church.