Friday, November 11, 2016

A BATTLE

It seems appropriate that on a day to remember those that fought for our freedoms I write on another battle.

The battle for a soul. 

The son said to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.  I am no longer worthy to be called your son.”

But the father said to his servants, “Quick!  Bring the best robe and put it on him.  Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.  Bring the fattened calf and kill it.  Let’s have a feast and celebrate.  For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.”  So they began to celebrate.

My son,” the father said, “you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.  But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.”
Luke 15:21-24, 31-32

I have always had trouble with this parable.  I could only see it through the eyes of the “I have always been here” brother.  This week I have been taught to see this through the eyes of the father.  I have held a broken son.

This week has not been the best week of my life, but I am realizing it is not the worst.  And actually might just be in the top ten best weeks.  Through the tears.  The hurt.  Through the love. While watching a son, broken by an addiction, move from a hidden life to the hope that chains can be broken, I know why the father ran to meet his son.  I know why he celebrated. 

What I would like to know is why the Bible left out what came after the celebration.  You see, I celebrate because my – our – son can go from lost to found.  Can go from darkness to light.  But it will take work.  I am sure the father in the parable did not agree with nor condone the younger son’s actions.  But I am also sure that the father, with love, made sure his son received the help he needed to find a new and right direction.

Our family does not agree with nor condone the choices our son has made.  But our family will stand together as he begins the journey to become the man God created him to be.

Right now, he will suffer because of the choices he has made and he will do battle with his demons.  Right now, we will do battle for his soul.

Yes, our son is a prodigal. 

Oh, wait.  So am I. 

The Lord told Saul (later renamed Paul):  I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.

Acts 26:17-18

We are all prodigals.  And we all have hope.  We can all turn from darkness to light.  We can all move from the power of Satan to God.  We can all receive forgiveness.  We all have a place!


And we all have a Father waiting with open arms to welcome us home and celebrate!

No comments: