Friday, November 18, 2016

THANKSGIVING VS GIVING THANKS

Bet you are thinking, “There is no difference.”  But let’s be honest.  When we hear the word “Thanksgiving”, the Norman Rockwell painting comes to mind.  We see a family sitting around a table, a very large, perfectly cooked turkey, dressing (stuffing), smiles and the mother still wearing her apron. 

When we hear the word “Thanksgiving”, we think about having the day off work (except for the people in the kitchen working for hours to prepare a meal that will be consumed in ten minutes), taking a nap after eating that turkey, football games, a dog show, and the long drive home with tired children.  Somewhere in there, we might actually go around and have everyone tell something they are thankful for.  That is if we can get it in during half time or a commercial.

Thanksgiving:  The forth Thursday in November.

vs

Giving:  To make a present of
Thanks:  Expression of gratitude

When I read the meaning of the words giving and thanks, I wondered if I have been doing it wrong all these years.  Over the years I have made it about me.
  • I am so thankful for indoor plumbing.
  • I am so thankful for family.
  • I am thankful for sunrises and sunsets.
  • I am – I am – I am.  It was all about me. 

But now?

TO MAKE A PRESENT OF OUR EXPRESSION OF GRATITUDE

Psalm 100

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
Can you hear me Lord?  Is my voice rising to your heavenly realm?

Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the LORD is God.
My soul is smiling.  Can you see it reflected in my eyes?  Lord, God, I come before you with a song so full of joy it cannot be contained.

It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
You made me.  I am yours.  Shepherd, I rest in your pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
My thanksgiving is so strong no gate can keep me out and your courts will echo my praises.
I will raise my hands as I give you thanks and praise your name.

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Lord, as my grandmother prayed, so shall I pray.  Your faithfulness surrounded her and that faithfulness will surround my children and their children and their children.

AMEN.  AND AMEN.


Happy Giving Thanks Day!!!

No comments: