Friday, December 30, 2016

ANOTHER YEAR GONE --

It seems the last week in December is spent looking back.  Every news show, newspaper, magazine, website and Facebook post has something to do with the Top 10 Events in the world, the country, the state and our lives.  There is the annual list of banished words, new words, dangerous toys, most popular baby names and, of course, the Darwin Awards.

After looking back, it is then suggested everyone should make New Year’s resolutions based on how we would like our lives to improve the next year.  I have never understood this because most resolutions will not make it through January 1, nor all the way to March 15 or June 2.  And no way will they survive to September 22.  Take me for example.  No matter what I resolve to do, the diet does not last because those rolls at Nordmann’s call my name each morning and our daughter makes the best cheesecake, watching NCIS wins out over exercise and patience is still not a virtue.  All that looking back and soul searching to better my life all for zip.  Nada.  Nothing. 

Yes, ANOTHER YEAR IS GONE!!!  I hate to put this song into your head for the next week or two but my advice to the year going out:  Let It Go. 

There is something so much better.  What you ask?

THE YEAR COMING IN, OF COURSE!!!

The Prophet, Jeremiah, had to give the kingdom of Judah a bit of bad news. Their kingdom was about to be destroyed.  He also informed them that the future was bright and full of mercy, restoration, renewal and a new covenant.  Think of the old year/new year with these words from Jeremiah.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.   Jeremiah 29:11

PLANS!!  God has a plan.  Not a review of the last year, but a plan for the coming year.  A plan for your life. 

Philippians was written by the apostle Paul and contains no Old Testament quotations.  That means Philippians is a “looking forward” book.

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do:  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 3:13-14

FORGETTING WHAT IS BEHIND AND GOING AHEAD!!  I like that idea.  Moving toward the goal instead of tied to yesterday.  A goal for your life.

What will 2017 contain?  We have no idea!!  What we do know is that there is a plan and a goal.  Now take what you learned in 2016.  Quit looking back.  Allow God’s plan for your life to become a reality and keep moving closer to your goal.


HAPPY NEW YEAR

No comments: