Friday, March 03, 2017

FROM MY JOURNALS – PART 1

I came across my prayer journals, from July 2009 to January 2013, and I realized two things.  I have to get back to writing in a journal.  My concentration is so much better when I write.  And second my prayers were all over the place depending on my mood and life. 

Seven prayer warriors each took a day to pray for our church, the congregation, the world or whatever was on our heart.  My day was Tuesday, so almost every Tuesday morning I sat in the sanctuary and wrote.  There is something very special about being alone in the sanctuary.  Sometimes the church was very quiet because I got there early or it was very noisy with pre-school, staff and members.

As I review the journals, I would like to share some of the entries. 

July 21, 2009
Scriptures on a strong foundation:  Ephesians 2:19-22, 2 Timothy 2:19 and 1 Peter 5:10

Sometimes a prayer begins out of nowhere.  Sometimes a prayer comes out of tragedy.  The previous Saturday had been hard for our church and our community.  A young lady was to be married that Saturday.  Her fiancé died Friday night.  The decorations were removed and joy turned into grief.  On that Saturday, two sisters were having fun.  Until their four wheelers collided.  Fun turned into fear.  A church and a community prayed.  As I wrote about this, I realized how important a strong foundation is when tragedy knocks us to the floor.

Thank you for the foundation of this church.  Sometimes we feel there is no foundation, that we are adrift.  Then a ‘Saturday’ happens and we see and feel the solid footing we have – a Unity of Spirit. 

Now let us build on this foundation.  Let our cornerstone be Jesus.  Let our walls be Your Word.  Let our strength be the Cross.  Let the Holy Spirit be strong in all.

Take all that is in my heart and know my prayers are honest and sincere.  Amen

July 28, 2009
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”  When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.
Matthew 19:14-15

The disciples did not understand the importance of children.  Ahh, but Jesus did!

Lord, what a responsibility you have entrusted us with – YOUR CHILDREN.  You have blessed each child.  I can see you putting your hands on them.  A soft, loving look in your eyes.  A gentle, peace giving touch.  And I can see the children looking into your face and knowing!  Knowing – that is what I pray for our children.  Knowing!  Knowing you are ALWAYS there.  Knowing your peace, love, comfort.  Knowing your strength.  Your wisdom.  Your story.  Let them learn from the way you lived.  Let them learn your ways.  Let them grow in faith as they grow in body.  Let them hold your hand securely in theirs as they move into becoming adults.  Amen

September 15, 2009
Scriptures on Forgiveness:  Nehemiah 9:17, Psalm 103:1-4 and Ephesians 1:7

Be kind and compassionate to one another forgiving each other
just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4: 32

Forgiveness is a rough one.  It is something we want, something we need.  And it is something we should give.  Forgiven – what a beautiful word.  What a gift.  What peace it brings.  How hard it can be to accept because with the accepting comes the realization of what it cost God – His Son – and what it cost Jesus – His Blood.

I offered a prayer for the church:  God let all in this church feel the wonderful clean feeling that comes from asking for and receiving forgiveness.  Then I offered a personal prayer.

My dear Lord, What emotions this brings.  Why would you do this for me?  I am no one special.  I am a sinner.  And yet you have taken me – me – you have taken me from the pit and forgiven ALL my sins.  Every one gone.  When you look at me, you see me clean.  Your beloved daughter.  And upon my head you have placed a crown.  And you placed it there with your love and compassion.  And someday, when this life ends, I will have an eternal body, healed with all disease left behind.  Praise the Lord, O my soul.  I will not forget your benefits.  Amen

November 17, 2009
(Abraham) …..obeyed me.     Genesis 22:18
Even the winds and the waves obey him (Jesus).     Matthew 8:27
…..his (Jesus’) reverent submission.     Hebrews 5:7

Obedience – what a hard word.  Obey – what a short word.  Reverent submission – what beautiful words!!  I prayed about obedience but then thought about Reverent Obedience.

Reverent Obedience – What a difference there would be between obedience and reverent obedience.

The body would be relaxed.  No tension in the shoulders.  Hands quiet, not clasped in a fist.  The head would either be humbly bowed or looking towards the heavens in anticipation.  Reverent obedience would include ears that could hear whispered instructions and eyes that are able to see clearly.  The heart would be beating in time with the Master’s.  Reverent obedience would require feet eager to follow and a mind focused on serving.

Reverent obedience is freely, willingly and totally saying yes to the Master.  To the Alpha and Omega.  To the Creator.  To the One True God.



Although the first prayer on a strong foundation came from grief and fear, the others on children, forgiveness and obedience are common to all Christians.  Have you prayed for the children?  Thanked God for forgiveness?  Been reluctantly obedient or have you been reverently obedient?

1 comment:

Nana's Nook said...

Great Post I love it!