Friday, June 02, 2017

Young - Old - Young

Age is such a changing value.  I can remember years ago when I was the youngest person on the funeral dinner committee at church.  Later, I remember looking around the table at a woman’s Bible study and thinking, “I am the oldest lady taking this study.  How did that happen?  How and when did I get old?”

Age is such a changing value.  Just this week I gave a message at a retirement home chapel.  I looked around and thought, “I am the youngest person in this room.”

That evening our grandson came for a visit.  When he walked in, I ask, “How does it feel to be a Senior?  You have no idea how fast this year is going to go.”  He said, “It feels strange to be a Senior.  But this next year cannot go any faster than the last one.”  I gave him a “just you wait” grin and we sat and talked.  My mind was whirling:  When did he get this old?  He should still be a little boy.

A couple weeks ago, another grandson informed me, “Well, grandma, you are young at heart because you are only 19.”  Sounds good!  I do like contemporary Christian music, have an Instagram account, am on Facebook and, for sure, do not feel 70 on the inside.  (The outside knows it is 70 and has grey hair and some aches and pains to prove it.)  Actually, I can celebrate both.  I will be 19 in September because I died in 1998 during an operation.  Or I will be 71 in November when I celebrate the day I was born.

Age is such a changing value --- and we all have a big change ahead. 

Are you ready for A BRAND-NEW LIFE?

(John the Baptist speaking)  “I’m baptizing you here in the river, turning your old life in for a kingdom life.  The real action comes next:  The main character in this drama – compared to him I’m a mere stagehand – will ignite the kingdom life within you, a fire within you, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out.  He’s going to clean house – make a clean sweep of your lives.  He’ll place everything true in its proper place before God; everything false he’ll put out with the trash to be burned.”
Matthew 3:11-12 from The Message

What a God we have!  And how fortunate we are to have him, this Father of our Master Jesus!  Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we’ve been given a brand-new life and have everything to live for, including a future in heaven – starts now!  God is keeping careful watch over us and the future.  The Day is coming when you’ll have it all -- life healed and whole. 
1 Peter 1:3-5 from The Message

Sometimes we dig deep into the Word of God (a good thing) but sometimes we need to go back to Religion 101.  The basics. 

Religion 101:  Your life will change.

Baptized by Jesus = The Holy Spirit living within you = A changed life
Jesus was raised from the dead = A brand new life = A future in heaven

Are you young?  Are you old?  Know what?  It does not matter.  Your new life and your future in heaven begin the minute you accept Jesus. 

Are you ready for A BRAND-NEW LIFE?  There is one waiting for you.


No comments: