Friday, July 14, 2017

TOO OLD WISE.  DO NOT LIVE IN THE PAST.   ALWAYS.

A few weeks back, I wrote about being labeled young or old.  I do believe age is a state of mind, as much as it is the number of birthdays you have celebrated.

I’M TOO OLD WISE FOR THAT

There have been a few changes to my bucket list.  After having a broken wrist, I realize I can break.  After having foot surgery a number of years ago, I realize there are things my feet would rather I not do.   Therefore, I have taken two activities off my bucket list.

Skydiving – Yes, I know President Bush took the plunge way past the age of 70 but I have a feeling there were a whole lot of protections in place to keep him safe.  Pretty much guaranteed no secret service would be in place to catch me if something went wrong.  Skydiving is no longer on my list. 

Zip Line – My mother passed on arthritis in her hands to me, bless her heart.  That means gripping can be a problem.  When I see pictures of smiling people sailing over the tops of trees, they seem to be holding on very tightly.  Zip lining is no longer on my list.  Although, if I didn’t have to climb a gazillion steps to reach the launch area and if I was sure someone at the other end was going to make sure I stopped (both concerns due to previous mentioned foot problems) and if I could actually allow myself be launched off a secure area and flung out into space, I might move this back to my bucket list.

I DO NOT LIVE IN THE PAST

Am I four months shy of 71 or am I two months shy of 19?  (Confused?  Read June 2 blog.)  No matter how you want to figure my years, my heart and mind remain young.  I pray I will always honor the past but live in today.  I hope my mantra will never be:  But we have never done it that way.  NOR  Back when I was a kid.  NOR  I do not need to learn.

Contemporary Christian music – I love the old hymns.  I do.  They have helped build my faith but Christian music did not stop getting written somewhere back in 1872 or 1911 or 1948 or 1969.  Christian artists are still inspiring with their words and music today.  Today’s music will, in the future, be considered traditional.  Christian music can be played on – are you ready for this – guitars, drums and keyboards.  I enjoy Amazing Grace and Even If.  I have a special place in my heart for In the Garden and Hello My Name Is.  My absolute favorite hymn is Here I am Lord and in second place is Flawless.

A New Way – I cannot think of one thing I do that has not changed or evolved over the years.  If I move that pan to this cabinet, it is more convenient.  If I pay bills on line, it is much quicker.  If I learn to use a computer/iPad/internet, I can communicate with the world or develop a website or write a blog or be on Instagram.  Although I still like the feel of a book in my hands and the sound of turning a page, I read many books on my iPad.  Yesterday was great.  It got me to today. 


But I do not live in yesterday.  I hope I never lose the desire to learn and change and evolve.


ALWAYS

Yes - I’M TOO OLD WISE FOR THAT.  Yes – I DO NOT LIVE IN THE PAST.  Yes – parts of my life can only be classified as ALWAYS.


I like to start my day with coffee.  Before coffee, I cannot be held accountable for my actions.


One thing I have never been accused of is being is normal.


Many people, especially hubby, children and grandchildren, are trying to figure out my thought process.  To date no one has even come close.

/ / / / /  \ \ \ \ \

Today’s blog started with an idea and was going pretty good.  But then …..



………… somehow it took a turn and now it is done.  At least the clip art pictures are really cute. 


Have a super fantastic week.
P.S. Maybe there is a point after all.  So often we are absolutely sure we are on the right path.  Our feet, our heart, our mind - all headed in the direction God wants us to go.  Then something happens and we realize we have taken a different road.  Just like this post.  When that happens, stop.  Pray.  Wait.  Listen.  Pray.  Begin your journey again with your feet traveling down the correct path again.

No comments: