Friday, February 16, 2018


OOPS

I love to talk to strangers.  I love to hear their stories.  But sometimes ……

A couple weeks ago, I made a quick visit to see my sister.  We stayed in a hotel close to where she lives.  We yacked until midnight.  Slept.  Went down to breakfast.  And there sat two ladies, probably 75 to 80 years old.  We nodded and said good morning.  As they were leaving, I said, “Now do not get into too much trouble today.”  They smiled and said they would do their best.  We talked for a few minutes, decided they could get into trouble if they wanted and, as they were walking away, I added, “Have a nice day.”

They turned and said, “We are headed to a funeral.”

Later that afternoon, sis and I were playing a game when she started to giggle.  I asked why.  Smiling (that smile only sisters can give each other) she said; “Only you would say have a nice day to someone headed to a funeral.”  Then she giggled more.  And more.  And more.

Because she had to work the next day, she went home but I stayed the night.  (Extra quiet time for hubby and I did not have to find my way home in the dark.)  Deciding to partake of the evening snacks, I headed to the lobby.  And there sat the two ladies.

I joined them and we had a blast.  You know how, in the movies, other diners never turn to look at the person that breaks out in song?  Or looks when a man gets down on one knee to propose?  Or barely reacts when someone spills something?  Well, let me tell you ----

When three old ladies are laughing out loud (emphasis on the loud part), everyone turns to look!  We giggled!  People looked our way.  We talked quietly.  People still looked.  I think to see why we got quiet.  I noticed one woman leaning our way, listening and then giggling too.  Maybe we should have just invited everyone to join us.

Are you smiling?  Would you have enjoyed being at the table?  Exactly the point I want to make.

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”     Matthew 28:18-20

We – that would be you and me and him and her and them – are to make disciples.  BUT - they have to want to come.  AND – they will want to come if they see us celebrating and joyous and happy.  They will look at us.  They will lean toward us so they can hear.  They will join us at the table.

Do our lives make people want what we have?

No comments: