Friday, June 27, 2008

COUSINS )

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: JOHN 20:29

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

COUSINS

Last Saturday, my cousin Linda and I helped the oil companies. We went on an adventure. Another cousin came in from Texas, so we met him at his sister's home and picked up where we left off some 40 plus years ago. We have crossed paths at funerals, but we have not had time to talk, laugh and remember. Saturday, we took time.

It took about an hour to catch up on - Where do you work? How are your kids? Are you healthy? Been on any trips? Can you believe the price of gas?

Then the remembering started. Remember the feather bed? Remember the door that bent in the middle? Remember the sugar cookies? Remember? Remember? And all of this remembering centered on our Grandma. Grandpa had died when I was two, so I don't have memories of him. Although Doris had a few memories of Grandpa, we all remembered Grandma.

We laughed as Doris said Grandma had told her she should stay home while she was pregnant. We each could close our eyes and see Grandma's home. Picturing each room as if it was yesterday. There was a sawmill behind Grandma's and we remembered the fresh wood smell drifting up the hill. Jim was corrected about the out-house. It was a three-holer, not two. Three holes of various sizes to accommodate various size behinds.

After talking, we went on a scavenger hunt, of sorts. Let's call it a grave hunt. First, we found Grandma and Grandpa. We all knew where they were. Buried right behind them was Great-Grandpa and Grandma. That was as far as I had ever gotten. Then Doris and Jim got silly grins and said, "Let's go."

The next stop was Great-Great Grandpa and Grandma. What a find! But Jim and Doris were not done with their fun. You see, Jim is way into genealogy and Doris and her husband have started taking pictures of tombstones in old, forgotten cemeteries. Guess whom they found.

I met my GREAT-GREAT-GREAT GRANDPARENTS. Now is that a WOW or what? Okay, so I didn't exactly meet them, but in a way, I did. Seeing those stones made them real.

Sometimes we have to meet people to remember them. Sometimes we meet them through stories. Sometimes we meet them in cemeteries.

How do you know God is real? Have you met Him when a gentle breeze blew? Have you met Him as you watched a sunset? Have you met His Son Jesus? Have you met Jesus as you heard the stories? Have you met Jesus at an empty grave?

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What family stories do you enjoy telling? Have you gotten together with adult cousins and sisters/brothers?

How did you meet God?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Hello God, How wonderful to share memories with others. To remember the past. I know those memories are not always good and I ask you to give comfort to your children that cannot look back with joy. I thank you for the memory of ______ (think about a person who has been a positive influence in your life) ____________. I thank you for my faith memories too. Memories of when I felt you beside me. Memories of when I felt your love. Memories of …… Amen

No comments: