Thursday, August 19, 2010

DID YOU READ YOUR EMAIL? DID YOU CHECK FACEBOOK? WHAT ABOUT YOUR TEXT MESSAGES?

DID YOU READ YOUR EMAIL? DID YOU CHECK FACEBOOK? WHAT ABOUT YOUR TEXT MESSAGES?

I am the administrator for our church's Facebook page. That means I post updates on what is going on at church. I remind people about meetings. About times. And I encourage all to attend church on Sunday mornings.

As secretary for our Church Council meetings, I write up the minutes and then email them to the members of the committee.

Personally, I also use Facebook and post to other people's status updates or send a personal note by "message." When people are not home, I leave messages on their answering machine or voice mail. And I would not know what to do without email. I use email to contact our accountant with tax questions. Email my sisters and my cousins. Email friends. Email to send and receive information on my CASA case. Email for business and for pleasure. I would miss email!

Yes, I use the phone. Email. Facebook. One thing I do not do is send text messages.

All of these are great. All are great ways to keep up to date on business situations. To keep in touch with family and friends. To give and receive encouragement. To request prayers. To offer prayers. To send a laugh or even a virtual hug.

BUT all, of these modes of communication, are useless if the person you are trying to make contact with does not check their email. Does not check their Facebook page. Does not listen to the messages on their recorder. Does not check voice mail. Does not check their text messages.

God uses many ways to communicate with us. Nature. Other people. The Holy Spirit. The Bible. The word of Christ.

Do you check for messages from God?

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: ROMANS 10:16-18

But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our message?" Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did: "Their voice has gone out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Where do you find messages from God? When you are outside? When you are in church? When you study the Bible? When you are just quiet, listening and ready to receive the message God wants you to hear? Are you ready to accept the good news?

As I wrote these questions, I thought about the show Touched by an Angel. How would you feel if a person said, "I am an angel and I have a message from God."?

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

My dear Lord, I am listening. I am always checking to see if you have left me a message beside a tree. Or beside a brook. I am listening. I listen to others who can help me learn. Others who can direct me. Pray for and with me. Others who can be my brothers and sisters in Christ. I am listening. I am listening to the Holy Spirit. I am listening to the Spirit's voice and allowing that voice to help me make wise choices. I am listening. I am listening to the words of the Bible. I am listening and learning. Thank you for loving me so much that you want to communicate with me. You want me to hear your love song in the gentle breeze. In the loving hearts of others. In the Spirit you have placed in the very core of my being. In the inspired words written for eternity. I am listening. Amen

PS. By the way. God, you are so much better than email, Facebook, voice mail, recorders or texting. You are never off-line. You are never in a glitch area with no reception. You are never floating around in space instead of landing in my inbox. You are not accidently deleted before I hear the message. And you are not small print on a phone that will be outdated by the time I finish this prayer.

I am listening, but I am filled with wonder and amazement when I realize that you are listening to me. Amen and Amen

No comments: