Friday, May 20, 2011

OFF TO THE OTHER SHORE

TODAYS SCRIPTURES: MARK

3:9 Because of the crowd he told his disciples to have a small boat ready for him to keep the people from crowding him.

4:36 Leaving the crowd behind

5:21 When Jesus had again crossed over by boat to the other side of the lake a large crowd gathered around him while he was by the lake.

6:32 So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place.

6:46 After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray

OFF TO THE OTHER SHORE

These scriptures came to mind and I wondered why Jesus kept taking off for the other shore. The other side of the lake. Why would he want to leave the crowd behind? Didn't he want the people around him? Then I pictured the people getting closer and closer. All wanting to hear exactly what he was saying. Some wanting to touch him so they would be healed. Can you picture him, at the edge of the water, with the crowd pushing and pushing? They would take a step forward and Jesus would take a step back. Then into the boat he would go. Off to the other side. Off to another shore.

The only problem with that is the people on the other side of the lake were waiting for him. What was he to do?

That is when the light bulb went off and I realized that often I feel that way. Crowded and pushed. Too much work. Too many other things I want to do. Too many books waiting to be read. Too much dust waiting to be scattered to another landing spot and laundry to do. Too many people needing my time and energy.

Have you ever felt that way? Pushed? Crowded? Surrounded? Where to go? Where to go?

Well, get in the boat with Jesus. He is right there waiting to give you a ride to the other side. Yes, the bills are there too. And the job. And all the people and things that demand your time and energy. But you will be ready to face them because you have rested your body and mainly your Spirit as you rode in the boat with Jesus. Just that short ride gives you the strength to go on!

While I was pondering this, I also thought about Jesus, those crowds and his solitary time.

"Jesus," I would ask, "did you ever get bruised or scratched as people crowded and pushed just to touch you? You were human, did you ever get scared when they crowded you to the edge of the water?"

"Jesus," I would ask, "how did you feel when you went away to a solitary place? Did your body sigh with relief and relaxation? And what did you and your Father talk about?"

I think Jesus might have said something like this: "Hi Father. This has been some day. I need rest so thank you for the shade of this tree and the breeze. Did you see the crowd? I pray they heard with their hearts. I pray they believe tomorrow. What? Yes the disciples are coming along. They're out on the boat and I'll go there shortly. I think I'll just walk out. Yes. That will give them a shock, but I like to shake them up. So how far do you suppose Peter will walk? He will do okay until he takes his eyes off of me. Then down he'll go. How long will it take them to learn? Really? That long. Better go. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get away for our talks. Later. I mean, Amen."

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Do you ever feel pushed? Crowded? Surrounded? Where do you go when you feel like this?

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

O Lord, you do not intend for me to always feel pushed. Crowded. Surrounded by pressure. Send a boat so I can spend time with you and receive comfort and renewal for my body and soul. Amen

1 comment:

Sarah O. said...

I hadn't thought about those verses from that point of view before. Thanks for the new perspective!