Friday, April 13, 2012

NOW WHERE DID I PUT THAT?

“Where are my keys?” I wondered. I needed to take Bill’s truck to get the flat tire fixed but, once again, my keys were not in my purse.

Had I left them in my jacket pocket? I have been known to do that.

Had I left them -- “Oh, no!” Bill has my car and I bet I left them in the cup holder. Again! As I was thinking this, the phone rang. “Mary,” Bill said, “If you are looking for your keys, they are in the car.” Oh does that guy know me or what?

Keys found. I don’t do this with anything other than my keys. I use them and drop them in my coat pocket. I use them and drop them in the cup holder. Then I begin the now-where-did-I-put-my-keys search.

SCRIPTURE: MATTHEW 28: 2-4, 11

There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

While the women were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened.

NOW WHERE DID I PUT THAT

Think about when you cannot find something. And you search. And search. And search. Now think about those guards.

Earthquake. An angel of the Lord. Stone rolled away. You begin to shake. You become like dead. And then you realize --

The body is gone! Did the guards look in the tomb? Did they look again? Did they look at the angel? Did they look at each other and say, “We are in deep do-do.”

I wonder if they ran back to chief priests or did they slowly walk, deciding exactly what they were going to say. Did they rehearse their story? Did they walk back quietly because they could not believe what had happened? Did they draw straws to see which one was going to tell the chief priests?

“Honest we did not fall asleep! We were on guard! Then an earthquake came and we fell to the ground! Unconscious! And when we woke up, …….. When we woke up, the body was gone!”

Silly guards! The body was not lost.

SCRIPTURE: MATTHEW 28:5-6, 9

The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.

Suddenly Jesus met them, “Greetings,” he said.

HE HAS RISEN!

Are you looking? Are you seeking? Are you wondering where you put your faith?

Look no more. Seek no more. Jesus is not lost. HE HAS RISEN! And surely HE is with you always, to the very end of the age.

No comments: