Thursday, March 13, 2014

WHO IS JESUS' MOTHER?

(based on Matthew 12:46-50)

Have you ever had a reunion with your house overflowing? The kids table is empty and the adults have finally moved into the living room where the chairs are softer. Some people are sitting on the floor. Some are standing because there is no place to sit. Then everyone's favorite uncle starts telling stories. All eyes turn to him and outside noise disappears as the voice pulls them into the story. Even those in other rooms become quiet so they can hear.

Now take your memory and place it in a home during Jesus' time and Jesus is the one speaking. The people are listening, when someone interrupts Jesus and tells him his mother and brothers were waiting outside. Seems they wanted to tell him something.

Now here is where my imagination takes over. I picture Mary outside waving her hand, trying to get Jesus attention. I am pretty sure she wanted to tell him it was time to eat and rest. Her little boy had a busy day, what with casting out demons and dealing with those Pharisees, and she was looking out for him. We all know how mothers can be.

Then it happened. Mary heard HER SON say, "Who is my mother? Who is my brother?" Pointing to his disciples, he continued, "Behold my mother and my brothers."

Now my imagination really kicks in because those words would upset any mother.

Mary did a quick spin and turned to her best friend. "Behold my mother and my brothers. Did you hear that? I gave birth to him. I fed him. I cleaned up after him. I am the one who was worried when he was missing because he felt the need to be about "His Father's Business." And I'm standing out here instead of being in a comfortable chair where I can hear and see my son and he makes a statement like that instead of saying, 'Hi mommy.' Well, I never!"

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

Take a step back Mary! How Mary reacted is not recorded but it could have been this way. Mary was 100% human and humans often take offense when none is intended.

It could happen to you. Especially when you have worked really hard and come home tired. Or have had a bad day. Or feel unloved.

Feelings are fragile. Tempers can flair. Pride moves front and center. Ears close. Minds are made up. The rest of the conversation goes without comprehension.

As a parent, your children often say things to hurt you. Even though they don't mean it, their words and actions cut you to the very core. Words or actions which leave you wondering if they have the smallest inkling of what you do for them. You want to shout, "Do you have clean clothes? Did you eat the supper I fixed? Do you really think I want to read Goodnight Moon every night before you go to sleep?"

You want to quietly ask, "Do you love me at all?"

At home, at work, at places where you volunteer and even at church, you can be offended by hearing half of a sentence as you pass the coffee machine. You take offense when your efforts are not recognized with an atta-boy. Your walls go up when someone you love, says one thing but you hear another.

Jesus was not offending his mother. Jesus was letting us all know we are his family. He wants us to sit in the easy chair or on the floor or even lean against the wall and spend time with him.

Mary was Jesus' mother and I am sure she understood. Do you understand or are you quick to be offended?

No comments: