Friday, January 30, 2015

PRISON

I do not think - no, I know I do not want to go to prison. One time, when I was a Brownie leader, we went to the county jail and, because there were no inmates in one section, we were locked in cells. I DID NOT LIKE THAT. I WANTED OUT!!!!!!!!!

Think there could be an issue with claustrophobia? I know there is because small rooms, rooms without windows or having all the doors shut make me nervous. Strangely, airplanes and elevators are a breeze. Hey, phobias are illogical but I refuse to be a prisoner! (They don't lock you up for speeding do they?)

This line of thought began when I was looking for a scripture about being in a prison.

Psalm 107:10 tells us: Some sat in darkness and the deepest gloom, prisoners suffering in iron chains.

Darkness? Deepest gloom? Iron chains? I do not like the sound of that! Darkness, gloom and iron chains just would not work with my grey hair. I am not going to be a prisoner.

OR -- am I already a prisoner?

The next verse pointed out why these prisoners were suffering. Psalm 107:11 for they had rebelled against the words of God and despised the counsel of the Most High.

Wow! I am in trouble. I have rebelled. Is there any hope? How do I break the chains?

The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him (Jesus). Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written: "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." ..and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing." Luke 4:17-19, 21

Freedom for the prisoners. I like that part and Jesus is anointed to do just that. I have found my hope! Jesus is strong enough to break the chains that hold me prisoner.

It would be great to say I am the only weak sinner being held captive, but the reality is revealed in Galatians 3:22 -- But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

Each of us is a prisoner of sin. And our sins are different. What is placing you in darkness? In deepest gloom? What is keeping you in iron chains?

There is hope and all you have to do is go to the one that can set you free: Jesus.

Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name.

Psalm 142:7

No comments: