Friday, January 20, 2017

GOD’S WILL – I HAVE NO IDEA

You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God,
you will receive what he has promised.
Hebrews 10:36

Being in the will of God was the meat of the sermon last Sunday.  When you google that phrase you get 20 verses on the Will of God, 22 verses on the Will of God, the best verses on the Will of God and 911,999,997 other results.  Well, that is all fine and dandy – when you have done the will of God – but I have one question:

JUST EXACTLY WHAT IS THE WILL OF GOD FOR MY LIFE?

Jeremiah 29:11 tells me; For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Amazing!!  But do you suppose God could be a bit more specific.  I am not a mind reader.  And I have not found an app to explain the will of God.

Hebrews 13:20-21 adds; Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Oh good, I am to be equipped with everything I need to do HIS will!  But what exactly am I to do that will please God?

Let’s see: (a few of those best verses on God’s will)

  • Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.  Psalm 119:105
  • Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6
  •  He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.  And what does the LORD require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.   Micah 6:8
  • If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  James 1:5

These do ease my frustration a bit.  When I trust the Lord completely (I am getting frustrated again because there are days when ‘completely’ just is not there.) and do not think I can handle it on my own or think for one second I can figure it out, there will be a light to show me the way and the way will be a straight path.  A straight path sure would save a lot of time instead of going here, there and yonder on my own.

Okay, I like these:  a light, a path and not on my own.

I bet if my feet are on his straight path I might be able to meet God’s requirements.  Hopefully, God will have patience with me and give me the knowledge I need as I learn to live honestly, to have compassion and to be respectful. 

  • your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  Matthew 6:10
  • Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.  Luke 9:23

How do I know what God’s will is for my life? 
I TAKE MYSELF OUT OF THE WHOLE PROCESS!!!

It is God’s kingdom.  It is God’s will that is to be done and God’s way that I am to live not how the world tells me.  And not how I tell myself to live.  And it is daily.  And I am to follow.  And I do not have to know where the path leads.

I will be in “the will of God” when I allow God’s light to lead me.

What path are you on?
What light are you allowing to shine in your life?
Are you leading or are you following?

You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God,
you will receive what he has promised.
Hebrews 10:36

The promises of God are wonderful!  Amazing!  Absolute!  I pray the light on the path God has for you is so bright there is no way you can miss it.  I pray your feet are firmly planted on his path.  I pray you act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God.  I pray you daily find wisdom in God’s Word and then wisdom moves you to deny yourself, take up the Cross of Jesus and follow!


Have a blessed week.

1 comment:

Larry Wade said...

A bit more on God's will this week. I enjoy your blog, Miss Mary.