Friday, January 13, 2017

RING, RING

10:00 AM -- Ring, Ring – “Hello, there is nothing wrong with your credit card but,”  Hang up.

11:02 AM -- Ring, Ring – “Oh excuse me, I had to adjust my head set.  You recently stayed at one of our resorts”  Hang up.

12:30 PM – Ring, Ring – “I would like to offer you an extended warranty”  Hang up.

3:30 PM – Ring, Ring – “You have won $5 million.”  And how did I win this five million?  “Oh, I do not know.  I am just to arrange for you to receive the money.  Now you will need to send us $895”  Hang up.

11:10 PM -- Ring, Ring – (Notice 11:10 PM – being past our bedtime we were sound asleep) “We know where you are.  We are coming over.”  Go right ahead.  See you.  They hung up on me.  I went back to sleep.

Do any of these sound familiar?  We have received the first three so many times I am beginning to wonder if I should invite them over for dinner.  Or at least learn about their family.  Maybe get a call back number.  The calls, about winning millions, only come occasionally now.  They might be a bit upset because I have not sent the transfer fee and I keep hanging up on them.  Maybe I should be friendlier.  Ask them about the weather.  Check on their children.

The call at 11:10 PM was the normal “kids have phone, kids will make crank calls” and they were a bit confused when I did not get upset.  Don’t ya hate when a crank caller hangs up on you.  How rude!!!

BUT what would happen if I received this call:

Anytime – Ring, Ring – “Mary.”  Yes.  “Mary, this is Jesus.  I happen to be in the neighborhood and would like to stop by.  Is that okay?”  Of course!  (Hey, I am not going to tell Jesus it is not a good time.)  “Be there in a bit.”  I will be here.  Hang up.  (Oh, drat.  I should have let Jesus hang up first.  What if he had something else to say?  What if he needed directions?  Silly me, HE knows where I live.) 

In a bit?  Here?  In our home?  Dust?  Is there dust?  What books are out?  Where is the Bible?  Should I delete those movies and programs I have on the DVR just in case HE turns on the TV? 

Hubby?  He is out for a walk.  I better call him.  He will not want to miss this visitor. 

Food?  Will He want something to eat?  Does He eat?  Bacon?  Oh, Jewish background.  No.  Peter’s dream makes pork on the approved list.  But maybe something lighter.  I have grapes.  Grapes, a little cheese,…..

Wear?  Do I need to change clothes?  This is stressful.  Why did I tell HIM it was a good time to come over?

OH NO!!  HE is here and all I have done is stand here and go in circles.  

Take a breath.  Open the door. 

Those eyes.  That smile.

“May I come in?” 

YES!  YES!  COME IN. 

                 —                           

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.  She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself?  Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed – or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”               Luke 10:38-42

If Jesus knocked at your door, would you be a Martha or a Mary?

you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed – or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

If Jesus knocks at your door:

Take a breath.  Open the door. 

Look into HIS eyes. 

Notice HIS smile.

Hear HIM ask, “May I come in?” 

Sincerely reply, “YES!  YES!  COME IN.”


No comments: