Friday, May 19, 2017

UNEXPECTED ENCOURAGEMENT

The other day hubby and I went out on a farm drive.  If you live in a rural area or are the wife/child/friend of a farmer, you know what a farm drive is.  “Hey.  Want to go for a drive.”    That is what you hear.  This time of year what they mean is, “I want to go see if the field is dry enough to work and you can help me check it out.”  (My sweet hubby knows that if he really wants me to go, all he has to do is use the words “back roads.”  Those words are the equivalent of dangling a carrot on a string and pole before the horse.)

So off we went to find those back roads.  He found dry fields.  I found encouragement printed on a sign, in a front yard.

The sign said:  YOU MATTER

My heart shouted thank you to the home owner because I could picture all the people that sign encouraged.

  • An exhausted person after a very long shift
  • A parent driving to yet another practice/game/?
  • A widow/widower going home to an empty house
  • A teenager who feels invisible
  • A child of divorce who spends weekends with the other parent
  • A teacher who had a rough day
  • A minister on the way to a hospital visit
  • A spouse along on a farm drive 
  • ANYONE AND EVERYONE

Unexpected encouragement – what a gift! 

AND -- Not once but twice.  A few days later, it happened again.

There I sat.  Waiting on the train to pass.  Looking at the graffiti.  Thinking some of that is pretty good art.  When I saw it.  Right there on the side of a car.  Almost to the end of the train. 

Spray painted in large letters:  YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Again my heart sent a thank you to the person on the other end of that spray paint can. 

Encouragement – we expect it from those we love.  People at church.  People at work.  Friends.  BUT what a blessing when encouragement is unexpected.  Words that are slipped in the routine of our day.  Words that leap out and wrap themselves around us.

YOU MATTER

YOU ARE NOT ALONE


These words are true.  Read them aloud.  Allow them to wrap around you and encourage you.

No comments: